Zundapp Trials.

section swept

On 10.9.2018 at 10:16 AM, section swept said:

So when Villiers decided to do the dirty on a great many small to medium sized competition bike manufacturers and stop supplying their engines, I ask this question, why did the Zundapp engine range get overlooked?

well, at this time the production of the bigger 175 cc, 200 cc and 250 cc Zündapp engines Franke, Sengfelder & Co used, was already stopped and (apart from their 50 cc models) Zündapp had just one 100 cc engine in production (as seen in the model in the Motorrad pages Zündapp Spezial), so I suppose this engine was considered too flimsy by the english companies looking for engines - the great Zündapp 125 cc and 175 cc enduro engine came later in the end of the 60s and beginning 70s

here are two other Zündapps, the first seen at Brockhöfe 2009 and the second this first weekend of September

in Rüdersdorf near Berlin at the 5th Klassik Trial, last leg of the Inter-NordicCup 2018

zuendapp brockhoefe 2009-1.JPG

zuendapp brockhoefe 2009-2.JPG

zuendapp brockhoefe 2009-3.JPG

zuendapp re.JPG

zuendapp li.JPG

zuendapp vo-li.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 17/09/2018 at 6:35 PM, pallap said:

well, at this time the production of the bigger 175 cc, 200 cc and 250 cc Zündapp engines Franke, Sengfelder & Co used, was already stopped and (apart from their 50 cc models) Zündapp had just one 100 cc engine in production (as seen in the model in the Motorrad pages Zündapp Spezial), so I suppose this engine was considered too flimsy by the english companies looking for engines - the great Zündapp 125 cc and 175 cc enduro engine came later in the end of the 60s and beginning 70s

here are two other Zündapps, the first seen at Brockhöfe 2009 and the second this first weekend of September

in Rüdersdorf near Berlin at the 5th Klassik Trial, last leg of the Inter-NordicCup 2018

zuendapp brockhoefe 2009-1.JPG

zuendapp brockhoefe 2009-2.JPG

zuendapp brockhoefe 2009-3.JPG

zuendapp re.JPG

zuendapp li.JPG

zuendapp vo-li.JPG

In the first three shots that petrol tank looks like a Bultaco plastic item. Fits very close and looks good. Both bikes look to have fairly steep steering head angles. Thanks for setting my appetite even more. Just spotted a WW11 Zundapp sidecar outfit.....a mere £58,985 and the smaller road bikes are comparably priced at £3,000+ I’m going to have to save a lot more earnestly if I’m to get a trials version.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to post pictures and provide information. I would seriously like to own any of the bikes shown, almost want to put my arms around some of them! They all seem to stir up emotions in me of the past when each bike was full of character and more importantly then were available to be bought for a small outlay. ??? Thanks guys.

Edited by section swept

21 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Used on works Bultacos in the day.

So simple, a trick missed. I feel that many people will have spent £70 or more on a replacement kick start when a 50p bolt and a couple of nuts (or from the odds and sods bin) would produce a workman like job. ?

I met and had a nice long chat with Gustav at the D-Cup round in (Gefrees), age is getting the better of me, it was in Zirndorf in August. He told me so many stories about his rides in the UK and one which he had to tell was when he broke his foot. Apparently, he went off between sections and it was Sammy Miller who stopped to help him. Accoring to Gustav, Sammy only helped him because he thought he would then retire. Sammy pulled his bike back onto the road, helped Gustav to it, started it and wished Gustav all the best. Gustav then went on to win the trial which didn't go down well with Mr. Miller.

Edited by brownie001
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some help. While mine is not the Trials version, I recently purchased a Rickman Zundapp. I'm looking for a web site that might help me figure out what year and model I have. There is a plate on the headstock with readable numbers.

After seeing all these beautiful photos, a Trials conversion looks interesting. The bike came with a spare motor. I have a Saracen Trials bike with a nice nickle frame. I just might see if I can work the spare Zundapp in to that.

At any rate, if someone here has any identification information for my Rickman Zundapp, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

On 2.10.2018 at 11:02 AM, section swept said:

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to post pictures and provide information. I would seriously like to own any of the bikes shown, almost want to put my arms around some of them! They all seem to stir up emotions in me of the past when each bike was full of character and more importantly then were available to be bought for a small outlay. ??? Thanks guys.

at the time these zündapp models were not available to the public, they were purely bespoke models for their factory riders, now they are frequently on offer in germany, the 100 cc model was sold recently and the 200 cc model is not sold yet (www.trialforum.net, look under Marktplatz - Biete)

Zündapp100.jpg

zündapp200.jpg

• Like 2