Cracked clutch cover on 2014 Racing

smarty156

As long as there's no high spots on the idler gear you needn't replace it .You can clean up the idler with a file,check all the other cogs in there too.,only needs a tiny fragment stuck on any of the cogs to make an almighty row.Inspect them with a magnifying glass

10 hours ago, huski said:

As long as there's no high spots on the idler gear you needn't replace it .You can clean up the idler with a file,check all the other cogs in there too.,only needs a tiny fragment stuck on any of the cogs to make an almighty row.Inspect them with a magnifying glass

Really? There's bits missing off some teeth.

While I had the clutch cover off and the clutch out I noticed a hole in the engine case as per the attached photo. 

Now, given the bike was running fine after the clutch cover cracked i can't believe this is a result of that. In which case, the bike has been running great so I'm inclined to think it's not an issue.

However, what are people's thoughts? Where would this hole even go?

Maybe why the previous owner sold it? I've had it 2 1/2 years.

20180914_121502.jpg

1 hour ago, smarty156 said:

While I had the clutch cover off and the clutch out I noticed a hole in the engine case as per the attached photo. 

Now, given the bike was running fine after the clutch cover cracked i can't believe this is a result of that. In which case, the bike has been running great so I'm inclined to think it's not an issue.

However, what are people's thoughts? Where would this hole even go?

Maybe why the previous owner sold it? I've had it 2 1/2 years.

20180914_121502.jpg

The hole goes to the gearbox side of the casings. If you have used the bike and it has been working fine then keep on using it

Edited by oni nou

Hard to know when this damage was done,and where's the bit of casing now?You either put it back together and hope for the best or strip it right down and repair the casing and find the broken bit.You don't want that bit in the gearbox 

If you found no bits like this, then it probably happened before you bought it. The Pro transmission is well known for many problems. Sh-- happens, but put it back together and enjoy it. For as all it`s problems they are a great bike while running.   

Well, I drained the oil out and there was part of a gear tooth attached to the metal sump plug. Looks like it's off the idler gear so that's good. Once it's all back together I'll top up the oil and drain it again to see if anything else comes out.

Think I'll tip the bike upside down and see if that bit of casing appears. Might also buy a little endoscope type thing to look inside, just to be safe.

No idea how something like that would happen. Must take a fair bit of force.

Thanks for all your input. For all it's faults, it is a great bike to ride. I just seem to click with the GasGas. I've tried all makes and the GasGas always feels just right for me. Every time I've tried a Beta for example they just feel wrong, even before I've tried riding a section. No idea why.

Edited by smarty156

Well, here's a turn up. I did a search looking for GasGas engine casings for sale and when I look at the pictures, even brand new ones, they all have that hole! 

Attached is a photo of a new one and if you zoom in you'll see what I mean.

You learn something new every day. You can only see it when you take the clutch basket off so guess that's why you wouldn't normally see it.

enginecases-2.jpg

Finally found time to remove the kickstart shaft. Now, I've seen that you need to key the gear on the shaft etc so I compared my shaft to pictures I found online. Mine is well off by the look of it (picture attached) and I think it needs a new spring too. Am I right or am I looking at it wrong?

20180922_181014.jpg

Edited by smarty156

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say thanks for all the help and guidance.

New kickstart gear, idler gear, kickstart spring and clutch cover all fitted and the bike is running perfectly again. Didn't even need to bleed the clutch. Treated her to some new levers while I was at it too.