Frame number problem?

Russ598

Hi,

I am new to the forum and trials and recently got a great deal on what i think is a 1999 TXT270 and have been pratting around on it in the North Lincs area and am loving it.

The guy i purchased it from had always thought it was a 1990 TXT321 but a bit of googling makes it look like a 1999 TXT270 contact. Some of the googling brought me to this forum where a frame number decoder was posted and that's where my problems start.

My first 8 numbers of the frame number read... VTRGG37990399, The decoding would have me believe this is a 1999 TXT 370cc machine built in March 99. I would have expected a 270 to read "27" on the frame number or am i wrong???
I have spoken and sent photos to GasGas UK and they reckon its a 370 frame number but looks like a TXT 270 in the pics.
The cylinder also has "TR27" cast into it below the Gas Gas logo. Could that be a reference to a 270cc???

After exhausting google i cannot find a picture of a 1999 370cc gasser to compare it to although the odd hit comes up with things such as gasket kits. I cannot however find proof that a TXT370 actually existed in 1999.
If it did exist and had the same frame, it could have made it possible for a 270 engine to be transplanted into a 370 frame and could be the reason for this anomoly?

Ill attach some pics, any help from some of you GAS GAS experts in shedding some light on what model / year this is and why it does or doesn't match the frame number would be appreciated and will hopefully help me sleep better.

Russ

IMG_20180807_182208.jpg

IMG_20180808_174333.jpg

IMG_20180808_174410.jpg

There was a gas gas Contact JTR 370 in 1996, these were blue in colour, google will show you. The "370" model didn't continue on after this, & im pretty sure they weren't actually 370cc either.

Yours looks like a 1998 TX, but the barrels weren't red on those, so could be an older barrel off a 320 from an earlier model.

Edited by tshock250

Thanks for the replies :D,
Yes i had seen JTR 370's but as you said they weren't produced in 1999 as per my VIN number. I have also seen that TXT 270 barrels were not red as standard (but some other models were). Thats where the confusion about the casting on the side of the barrel saying "TR27" comes from, It could be possible for someone to have painted them red in the past maybe or 27 may not be referring it to the 270 model?

Thanks for posting the PDF but i have already come across this and that is the source of my confusion as the model number on my chassis number (37) does not seem to fit the TXT 270 it appears to be?

Thanks for taking the time to respond but i am still non the wiser as to why my (looks like) 1999 TXT 270's model number on the VIN says 37 when i would expect it to say 27.

If the last 4 numbers of the chassis number are the sequential numbers as the bike rolled off the production line, is it feasible that if the production got to 9999, where else can they go with changing the chassis number other than maybe rolling the model number up from 27 to 37 then starting the last 4 digits at 0000 :huh:. That is just a stab in the dark as i have no clue if GAS GAS would have produced that many.

If anyone else can shed some light on this Id be grateful.