OSSA MAR 4 speed?

jimg

Hello,  I would like to know if there were OSSA MARs (MK1) with a four (4) speed transmission?  I live in the USA, so I don't know if some 4 speeds were ever imported.  What engine number sequence would I be looing for (M-344 XXX)?  You don't have to tell me the best way to find out is to ride the bike....Lol...I would, but the bike is 2,000 miles away.  The seller claims it is a 4 speed, but I have my doubts/want to confirm.  I thought all MARs were 5 speeds.  I appreciate any information. 

Ossa produced a bike called the Wildfire a sort of road bike with 230cc and a four speed gearbox.Ossa made very few of these and so they are rare. They also made a trail type bike called the Pioneer, this had a four speed transmission. I don’t think Ossa used a four speed gearbox in their trials bikes, other than in pre development stages of their trials iron, but I could be wrong. You may be looking at something like a cobbled up Trials special, take care with your money on this one.??

The 4 speed was an Ossa Pennine, their first trials bike developed by Mick in 1967/8 and which evolved into the 5 speed MAR in 1971. The 4 speed was available in the US as on the promotional video people are riding them at one of Mick's schools

They were dark green with yellow stripes on tank and mudguards, production version looked more like an enduro/scrambles bike than a trials bike

I think the official Ossa name was Pluma

Edited by woody
  • Like 1

Thanks...so it appears, that if the bike is a four speed, as the seller claims (a 1971, MK1 with 4 speed trans), the motor was from a previous OSSA model or a previous owner took out a gear...but that would seem highly unlikely.  I just want to make sure this bike isn't a one or two off / limited production run for the USA market.  Here are a couple pictures. 

2018-09-12_12-24-36.pdf

2018-09-12_12-34-45.pdf

Pictures are a bit fuzzy because I had to copy image from my photo editor. 

Looks like it will do the job, as long as you don't want to win any International Competitions.   My MAR has a similar paint scheme, but does have 5 gears.  I find the crankcase is quite wide, so for some rocky trials I ride my Yam TY175.

I am seeking a 4 speed bike for a specific class "old school class" I wish to ride in the future...that's why I'm so concerned.  If this OSSA were a production 4 speed, I believe it would be the best (non-modified) 4 speed out there (pre 1973). 

I recall the 5 speed crankcase is wider and the engine mounts are different.  I certainly could be wrong- but I dont’ Think you can just put a four speed engine into a five speed frame without some changes.

I’ve never seen a ‘Plonker’ but did have a four speed Stiletto and a four speed Pioneer.

Mark