2018 Beta Evo 300 4T Plastic Fuel Cap

chappo

Having just part exchanged my 2016 4T for a new 2018 model from my local dealer, got it home and found that I couldn’t unscrew the plastic fuel cap.

I mean it was completely fast in the threads, I had to use a pair of pipe pliers to free it. Checked the threads, cleaned them and applied a little grease, no change, it would go in two threads by hand and that was it.

Contacted the dealer who just tried to sell me a billeted alloy one for about £40 + pounds.

Contacted Beta UK who said they have a tap or dye for recutting the threads, I assume they mean the plastic cap and not the tank alloy threads.

They said they would send it out to the dealer.

When you have a product this costly, you would surely expect to be able to easily refuel your bike, “ talk about fit for purpose”. The alloy one on the 2016 bike was fine.

Am I being naive here, but I have to now return my bike in my own time to the dealer to have the threads recut. 

I’ ll probably end up just purchasing a billeted alloy one as a friend of mine has done on his exact same model for ease.

I can’t be on my own with this problem.

Sorry guys , rant over, just takes the edge off a brilliant product. ????

If it makes you feel better it seems like all the models plastic caps sucked this year. The Beta had the thread problem. At our Nationals this summer the 2018 Sherco`s and Scorpa`s one way valves were sticking. My son had the same issue with his 2018 TRRS 300 at a long distance event. He found he had to remove his gas cap before he rode a section. That evening he fixed his cap too. Makes you think nobody ever tests the finished product.

Edited by lineaway

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

If it makes you feel better it seems like all the models plastic caps sucked this year. The Beta had the thread problem. At our Nationals this summer the 2018 Sherco`s and Scorpa`s one way valves were sticking. My son had the same issue with his 2018 TRRS 300 at a long distance event. He found he had to remove his gas cap before he rode a section. That evening he fixed his cap too. Makes you think nobody ever tests the finished product.

4 hours ago, scottishsteve said:

I had the same problem with my beta phoned beta uk they told me to send the fuel cap back along with the chassis number. I bought a csp one from splatshop 

As I assumed people either side of the pond are suffering the same issue.

Why should we have to pay for a replacement part out of our own pockets for a sub standard product. 

I really love the Beta product, I’ve had at least three new Beta trials bikes. But why should we have to pay to replace that faulty part.

COME ON BETA AND DEALERS, SORT THIS OUT.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2016 300 had the plastic cap (I bought it used).  It worked, but just barely.

I ditched it and bought the billet one for too much $$.  But IT works great, easy to put on and off, I used a breather hose from the chainsaw shop (small hose).

• 1 month later...