2019 RR Vs One

al_orange

On 9/18/2018 at 11:07 PM, sirdabalot said:

Anachronism, mine was a new 2018 RR 250, the engine is fine, clutch is good, no dragging and easy gear/neutral selection, starts easy. Handles well and stays nice and steady over microwave sized rocks and slabs. 

Comparing to GG and personal experience/preference, the TRS doesn't turn as easy takes more effort on tight stuff, needs another gear (the jump from 4th to 5th is too much of a gap) doesn't grip as easy on wet grass or clay. 

Airbox let's as much water in as a GG, the airbox snaps off very easily I've seen a few of these go, mine included, my water pump impeller sheared its drive splines from its brass insert, the fan didn't work because the multi plug wiring was defective, I've seen and know of others that have snapped the rear linkage, mine had play on the swinging arm bushes from new, the engine and swinging arm paint is self peeling, the radiator guard is insecure, the radiator is awkward to top up. 

Any way time to go but you pay your money you make your choice. 

@sirdabalot: That is a depressing list. I know what that is like.

Two questions: When you say water in the airbox you are riding in very wet conditions?

How/when did you realize the water pump wasn't pumping, constant boiling over?

The main issue i have had with TRS is how tight the bolts are on them. The air box does get a lot of mud in it i noticed this especially on my 2016 and the pilot jet in the carb would block a lot. On the 2018 they haven't improved this. You need to make sure you have a really good air filter oil and you grease the outer ring of it. You nearly need to clean the air filter every ride especially in the wet you will even need to take the airbox off and clean it out. From what i gather people grease the seal around the lid and and put tape over it. It helps a bit but the majority of the mud comes in through the rectangular breather in the airbox. I'm still waiting under warranty for my new trs to get bigger orings, as they cut the groves on the cylinder head to deep, so it is leaking coolant which i have to top up after every ride. The chain tension is terrible my bike hasn't even done a couple of weeks worth of riding and its as shaky as anything. 

1 hour ago, dwb5151 said:

The main issue i have had with TRS is how tight the bolts are on them. The air box does get a lot of mud in it i noticed this especially on my 2016 and the pilot jet in the carb would block a lot. On the 2018 they haven't improved this. You need to make sure you have a really good air filter oil and you grease the outer ring of it. You nearly need to clean the air filter every ride especially in the wet you will even need to take the airbox off and clean it out. From what i gather people grease the seal around the lid and and put tape over it. It helps a bit but the majority of the mud comes in through the rectangular breather in the airbox. I'm still waiting under warranty for my new trs to get bigger orings, as they cut the groves on the cylinder head to deep, so it is leaking coolant which i have to top up after every ride. The chain tension is terrible my bike hasn't even done a couple of weeks worth of riding and its as shaky as anything. 

That's a real shame. I was naively thinking that they were not subject to this sort of thing... 

Anachronism, my local events often have stream sections and are up to 10" deep, I'll usually find a puddle of water in the airbox after removing the lid. Jet wash with care as water will find its way in through the rectangular inlet (some models have an adjustable flap fitted to their inlets, which might help) the airbox drain is a similar design to a Gas Gas with a plastic reed/check valve supposedly allowing water out but not in from beneath. but neither of these designs work. The pump failure at first caused the engine to run unevenly with surging power (a bit like when an engine is running to weak of a fuel/air mixture or leaving the petrol tap off) then pressure blew the pump gasket out (not the pressure relief valve which should go first) this all happened in one section, which was an uphill gully. 

Edited by sirdabalot
Grammar

I have TRS one 2016 and I drive to this day without any problems.

I changed from Sherco ST 300 2013 so TRS is still a great motorcycle for me. The only thing I could criticize  is hard-working clutch rest works perfectly. I have no objections to the durability and quality of construction.

• Like 1

We have had an `18 300RR now for three months. Perfect fit for my son as he is a good rider doing all the advanced moves. It fits both of us well, he is 6`5 and I am 5`8. I will probably get a 2019. The bike is pretty quick, so maybe go up one or two teeth in the rear. It is a joy to ride. Turns better than my Beta and feels more balanced and stable. Can`t comment much on the waterproofing. He has done a few water sections, but nothing in the filter yet.

Strange to hear about the cylinder head comment as we have several new 300`s riding at high elevation and no cylinder problems. But each bike can be different. Good luck on your decision on bike shopping.

On 20/09/2018 at 8:41 PM, dwb5151 said:

My 2017 RR was bad for water and muck in the airbox but I found it was not sealed correctly from the factory there was a hole for the crap to get through at the rear mudguard. I removed the airbox split it and resealed it and it never an issue after that always had a had a very clean and dry box after a trial and washing ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@al_orange I’ve just spoke to Steve Saunders (TRS UK distributor) to get the answer to the same question you’re asking. He explained that although the Keihn carb on the RR does make the bike smoother through out the rev range, it does also make it snappier and he thinks it could be a hindrence for a novice/entry level clubman rider. He said the ONE is noticeably softer in the throttle and suggested I get that at novice level, and maybe even put a slow action throttle on, because i’m coming back into the spart after a long time out. I don’t think i’ll need the slow action throttle but could do without it being snappier than normal. 

He also said I probably won’t get any benefit out of the other upgrades for a couple of years either, but like you I wasn’t too fussed about that I just dont want the extra bits to hold me back. 

Hope that helps ??

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ricki mcvey said:

@al_orange I’ve just spoke to Steve Saunders (TRS UK distributor) to get the answer to the same question you’re asking. He explained that although the Keihn carb on the RR does make the bike smoother through out the rev range, it does also make it snappier and he thinks it could be a hindrence for a novice/entry level clubman rider. He said the ONE is noticeably softer in the throttle and suggested I get that at novice level, and maybe even put a slow action throttle on, because i’m coming back into the spart after a long time out. I don’t think i’ll need the slow action throttle but could do without it being snappier than normal. 

He also said I probably won’t get any benefit out of the other upgrades for a couple of years either, but like you I wasn’t too fussed about that I just dont want the extra bits to hold me back. 

Hope that helps ??

@Ricki mcvey that's very cool of Steve to be so honest about that. I guess it makes sense to sell the most appropriate bike as then you end up with a happier customer. Plus then we can upgrade in a couple of years. 

I'm still waiting until the new year but I cannot decide between the old trusty Beta Evo and the new sexy TRS. I value reliability but when I look at a 2019 EVO, there are so many bits that are the same as my 2001 Rev!!! And the TRS just looks and sounds so nice. Spoilt for choice I guess. 

I would just like to say it looks like there is some nit picking going on here on the TRS, I'm currently on my third TRS, forth if I was to take into account my brothers 250rr. To be fair all modern European trials bikes are much of a muchness, they all have problems in their own way. Manufacturers build the bikes to make them as light as possible (power to weight ratio).Trials bikes are not bullet proof, if they were they would be a lot heavier and a lot more expensive. I have had many different makes and models of trials bikes over the years and yet to find one without issues in some form. Manufacturers are a business and need to make money like any other business, it is not a hobby for them. In the motorcycle industry build quality has dropped probably due to parts being sourced from other countries for a lower cost. Any trials bike ridden in anger without maintenance is bound to deteriorate. In my opinion TRS is the best of the bunch, having maintained my own bikes plus my brothers. I have found that the build quality far better than other makes, also support from Steve Saunders (TRS Importer) is second to none. Other importers should take a leaf out of his book. He will help with any issues and customer service from him is first class.

At the end of day it's down to personal preference and parting with pound notes! TRS all the way for me.

Cheers Rich (TRS Gold - TRS RR)

4 hours ago, parsy said:

I would just like to say it looks like there is some nit picking going on here on the TRS, I'm currently on my third TRS, forth if I was to take into account my brothers 250rr. To be fair all modern European trials bikes are much of a muchness, they all have problems in their own way. Manufacturers build the bikes to make them as light as possible (power to weight ratio).Trials bikes are not bullet proof, if they were they would be a lot heavier and a lot more expensive. I have had many different makes and models of trials bikes over the years and yet to find one without issues in some form. Manufacturers are a business and need to make money like any other business, it is not a hobby for them. In the motorcycle industry build quality has dropped probably due to parts being sourced from other countries for a lower cost. Any trials bike ridden in anger without maintenance is bound to deteriorate. In my opinion TRS is the best of the bunch, having maintained my own bikes plus my brothers. I have found that the build quality far better than other makes, also support from Steve Saunders (TRS Importer) is second to none. Other importers should take a leaf out of his book. He will help with any issues and customer service from him is first class.

At the end of day it's down to personal preference and parting with pound notes! TRS all the way for me.

Cheers Rich (TRS Gold - TRS RR)

All good points but I'm guessing you've always bought new and never kept one for more than a year? 

Have you had both the one and the RR? Any particular difference to the ride?

I've just been looking at pictures of the One compared to the RR. It looks like the footpegs on the RR are tilted forward more than the One. I guess this is because experts spend more time on the back wheel than novices but it was a bit of a surprise.

Has anyone else noticed this? Reckon it would make any real difference to feel?

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, al_orange said:

All good points but I'm guessing you've always bought new and never kept one for more than a year? 

Have you had both the one and the RR? Any particular difference to the ride?

The TRS is the first time I have been able to buy a new bike and my brothers TRS is 2nd hand. I have never ridden a one but people I have talked to at clubman level have had no issues with the one model and say that it is a cracking bike.

If you can afford it, I would certainly buy a RR, there's plenty of them around in mint condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1