2019 RR Vs One

al_orange

17 hours ago, andyjohnson_10850 said:

initially changing the filter seems fiddly but after a bit of practice  it just slides in and out with no bother 

The airbox has a shield above the filter which is in two parts.  Initially I was only removing the rear half of the shield.

I am now removing the entire shield which makes removing and re fitting the filter easier.

So I've done a handful of trials on the RR now and thought I'd update this thread. Bear in mind that I'm a sportsman rider and this is my first new bike. 

Foot pegs - personally, I didn't get on with the curves and bought some S3 Hardrock aluminium. I definitely notice that I'm more comfortable and getting better traction with them. 

Engine - Slow throttle is a must for me. The bike is sharp and I'm still getting to grips with the snappy power. It's just the transition from closed throttle to open. Once the throttle is open and rolled on, the bike is amazingly smooth. 

Clutch - again it's sharp but not unmanageable. I'm going to put the softer spring in there but actually, after only 4 trials, it's improved my throttle and clutch control. 

Handling - sublime. Unbelievably confidence inspiring. Going to fit a a stiffer rear spring but otherwise it's so nice to ride. The only thing I've noticed is that I have to make a more conscious effort to get over the back for traction where on the old rev3 it would have tractored along. I think it's the light spring and too much preload but will see. 

Rider - still useless and clueless but enjoying trials more than I ever have and the bike is definitely a big part of that. 

Honestly, the standard bike may have been a better purchase when it comes to slick conditions but for everything else, I'm very pleased I got the RR. I'll just have to learn more finesse and technique. 

Edited by al_orange
  • Like 3

The 250 rev 3 did grip well,mainly down to having soft power.The modern 250 is much more powerful and has less flywheel weight,great for steps and climbs with little run up.Once you get used to getting your weight further back you'll be fine ,bit more damping on the shock helps grip,standard is quite bouncy.IRC rear tyre is best when it's muddy 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:07 AM, sirdabalot said:

Anachronism, mine was a new 2018 RR 250, the engine is fine, clutch is good, no dragging and easy gear/neutral selection, starts easy. Handles well and stays nice and steady over microwave sized rocks and slabs. 

Comparing to GG and personal experience/preference, the TRS doesn't turn as easy takes more effort on tight stuff, needs another gear (the jump from 4th to 5th is too much of a gap) doesn't grip as easy on wet grass or clay. 

Airbox let's as much water in as a GG, the airbox snaps off very easily I've seen a few of these go, mine included, my water pump impeller sheared its drive splines from its brass insert, the fan didn't work because the multi plug wiring was defective, I've seen and know of others that have snapped the rear linkage, mine had play on the swinging arm bushes from new, the engine and swinging arm paint is self peeling, the radiator guard is insecure, the radiator is awkward to top up. 

Any way time to go but you pay your money you make your choice. 

Betas turn better sure. What do you need a 5th trials gear for?  20' ledges? When filling your coolant remove the one 8mm bolt up front, top of rad moves forward and filling is as easy as any.  That said, I'm looking to sell my RR and try Beta.