2019 RR Vs One

al_orange

Hi,

I'm very tempted by a new TRS. I fancied the RR (because I like bling and it will hopefully be a keeper for at least 5 years). I'm a novice on my way to clubman and someone at the weekend said that a normal One would be preferable for a novice as it would be more forgiving and the RR is more for the guys that spend all day on the back wheel. 

I know what the specs say the differences are but in the real world, which would be better for developing and learning on? I'm fortunate enough that the price difference isn't a factor.

I'm yet to hear a bad word about the TRSs and they seem to be getting very popular so I figure it must be a good bike. Far better than I'll ever be anyway. 

I had a 2016 trs one 300 and now a 2018 trs rr 300. The suspension is a lot better on the rr and the bike feels lighter and zippier. I had to buy an ohlins for my trs one because the standard shock was terrible. It was very hard you felt every bump.  I had my 2016 trs one for 2 years and the crankcase gasket was the only thing which went in it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sirdabalot said:

They're not perfect. I'll be going back to a Gas Gas, which aren't perfect either. But buy the RR for the lovely suspension. 

@sirdabalot Define not perfect: heavy, turn slow, expensive, fragile? I am considering a 2019 & looking for any negative feedback. All I have read has been positive. The RR seems to get the nod as it is only a few dollars more for the good stuff.

Edited by anachronism

Just changed from Beta to rr and wish I had when they first cane out bikes lovely the Beta was a 300 and I’ve gone for the 250, plenty of power and usable, clubman and intermediate 250 is more than enough, people advised me not to get a 300 and I’m a good clubman rider 

Anachronism, mine was a new 2018 RR 250, the engine is fine, clutch is good, no dragging and easy gear/neutral selection, starts easy. Handles well and stays nice and steady over microwave sized rocks and slabs. 

Comparing to GG and personal experience/preference, the TRS doesn't turn as easy takes more effort on tight stuff, needs another gear (the jump from 4th to 5th is too much of a gap) doesn't grip as easy on wet grass or clay. 

Airbox let's as much water in as a GG, the airbox snaps off very easily I've seen a few of these go, mine included, my water pump impeller sheared its drive splines from its brass insert, the fan didn't work because the multi plug wiring was defective, I've seen and know of others that have snapped the rear linkage, mine had play on the swinging arm bushes from new, the engine and swinging arm paint is self peeling, the radiator guard is insecure, the radiator is awkward to top up. 

Any way time to go but you pay your money you make your choice. 

3 hours ago, sirdabalot said:

Anachronism, mine was a new 2018 RR 250, the engine is fine, clutch is good, no dragging and easy gear/neutral selection, starts easy. Handles well and stays nice and steady over microwave sized rocks and slabs. 

Comparing to GG and personal experience/preference, the TRS doesn't turn as easy takes more effort on tight stuff, needs another gear (the jump from 4th to 5th is too much of a gap) doesn't grip as easy on wet grass or clay. 

Airbox let's as much water in as a GG, the airbox snaps off very easily I've seen a few of these go, mine included, my water pump impeller sheared its drive splines from its brass insert, the fan didn't work because the multi plug wiring was defective, I've seen and know of others that have snapped the rear linkage, mine had play on the swinging arm bushes from new, the engine and swinging arm paint is self peeling, the radiator guard is insecure, the radiator is awkward to top up. 

Any way time to go but you pay your money you make your choice. 

Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware of those sorts of issues. Good to know. I'm cautious of GG as they have already gone bust in recent years and I want to keep the bike for a while. 

Your right westygas270, we eventually seem to find something we can live with, including women. There'll be plenty who like a TRS, but for me, even without any mechanical issues, a Gas Gas feels right. Sometimes it takes a wrong turn or time to pass before realising we've made a mistake. Thankfully it's easier to return to a bike you left than try the same with a woman?

There are enough GG parts floating around to keep them all running for years even if GG disappeared again. I don't expect they will, given the influx of money from Torrot. Of all the trials manufacturers I'd actually suggest they're probably the most financially stable at the moment as their parent company is not dependent on the trials market at all. 

19 hours ago, heffergm said:

There are enough GG parts floating around to keep them all running for years even if GG disappeared again. I don't expect they will, given the influx of money from Torrot. Of all the trials manufacturers I'd actually suggest they're probably the most financially stable at the moment as their parent company is not dependent on the trials market at all. 

That’s good, because as nice to ride as they are, being a GG they’ll need plenty of bits

I’ve got a 17 RR 280. It’s done ssdt and Manx twice as well as usual stuff and it’s spot on. Only 2 weaknesses are 1. Water pump seal. If you over fill level in rad it will go to leak externally if you push on down a road. 2. The pivot point on the chain tensioner is ***** and wears out quickly. Fitting a small bush will cure that. 

Other than that bang on. I had mine from Bvm in Stroud and they are bang on

• Like 1