Front brake wont lock on 2018 Sherco factory 300

leosantanalg

I have been so frustrated to the point that I bought a new bike!! lol, at least that was the excuse to buy a 300RR.

back to the subject: 

I have changed brake rotors twice, changed pads twice and now just ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit!! what is going on??

the bike will brake but wont lock the wheels. If i m riding on grass and just press the brakes really hard front wheel was suppose to lock (it does on other bikes) but not on this one.  I was told there was air in the line and bled it twice (unless i did it wrong) still not working.

any suggestions??  i already tried water quenching, tap on line and flick the lever to release air at the top with cap open and still no locking! I need advise please... if the master cylinder kit wont work should I buy a new brake line or new caliper first???  Thanks all 

If you changed the pads and rotors separately, like you left old pads on and changed the rotors, then you rode the bike, then you changed the pads and left the old rotors on and rode the bike, etc...

... if the original problem was brake/rotor contamination from something like brake fluid, which is pretty easy to do and can cause what you describe, you basically cross contaminated all the parts each time you changed them and rode the bike if you didn't change everything as a set.

Any time you have a problem like this, if you're going to change the pads, pull the rotor off and hose it down with brake cleaner first. 

If the bike was like this from new, bring it to your dealer, something else is wrong. But there are only so many things it can be, and next on the list are the caliper and the master cylinder. 

Edited by heffergm

4 minutes ago, tshock250 said:

More information needed.

Is the lever spongy or firm?

If firm then bleeding not required.

Are you talking of lack of "bite" from the pads?, if so they may be contaminated along with the disc.

I cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner before putting new pads and last change I did as a set!  They feel firm but wont lock in the end unless you press it so tight is not even real and there is no bite!! you know when you tap the brakes while riding and your front forks quickly compress? cant do it

Edited by leosantanalg

4 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

I have been so frustrated to the point that I bought a new bike!! lol, at least that was the excuse to buy a 300RR.

back to the subject: 

I have changed brake rotors twice, changed pads twice and now just ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit!! what is going on??

the bike will brake but wont lock the wheels. If i m riding on grass and just press the brakes really hard front wheel was suppose to lock (it does on other bikes) but not on this one.  I was told there was air in the line and bled it twice (unless i did it wrong) still not working.

any suggestions??  i already tried water quenching, tap on line and flick the lever to release air at the top with cap open and still no locking! I need advise please... if the master cylinder kit wont work should I buy a new brake line or new caliper first???  Thanks all 

What make of brake pads are you putting in  and are they sintered or not.

gotta use the galfer pads, run them in for a bit and heat cycle normally, then make about 3-4 high speed stops heating the front and pull out your water bottle to douse them good, should steam off a lot! do that a couple times then let cool and resume normal operation.

13 hours ago, lineaway said:

The m/c is a piece of crap. Happens quite a lot. New bike? What did the dealer say?

I bought the bike in January. was perfect until i decided to pull the brakes apart for cleaning maintenance!! big mistake.  from now on if it s not broken, I m not fixing!

20 minutes ago, heffergm said:

I don't suppose you're the guy that sprays WD-40 all over his brakes?

If the pads and rotors are new and bedded in, the problem is either the caliper or the master cylinder. There's literally nothing else left. 

OK! if was you, which one would you replace first?? I m ready. I will put the new MC rebuild kit and see if it works. could it still be the MC even if the rebuild kit doesnt fix it? Thanks

Edited by leosantanalg