Scorpa 2018? Yay or nay?

Bedds90

Hi all. 

I was going to post this in the scorpa section but thought it might be a little biased ;-) 

Does anyone have one and what do they run like? I seem to recall some time ago you would rev them and then down to idle would take ages. Like they were pulling in air. 

Thoughts welcome 

Cheers 

Interesting... when I hear something like "... rev them and then down to idle would take ages. Like they were pulling in air." my first thought is that bike needs to be jetted and adjusted.

The one guy in our group that rides a 2018 (at least I think its a 2018) runs fine.

Edited by jonnyc21

Cracking bike, absolutely the best machine I've ever owned and won't be changing anytime soon, On my second Factory model now, You won't be disappointed. Carburate absolute perfect out the box, No such issues like you mentioned, If any doubts give Birks a ring and he'll talk you through them.

Edited by benbeta23
  • Like 1

Interesting that you say very good build quality , shercos are widely renowned to be made of cheese, as anyone ever compared the 2 together ?i know the frames are slightly different apart from that it’s the same bike ,same factory aswell I believe?

The SHERCO is just a SCORPA.............The way the Sherco now looks is a design that copies  the SCORPA TWENTY that was designed by Adam Ragas old minder James Gonzales not Paxau

The Scorpa Twenty came out in 2015 ....In 2015 the Sherco still had the fuel tank under the rear mudguard and the air filter up toward the handle bars...... The copy of the SCORPA by SHERCO  came out in 2016 ......there are differences between the two bikes although not vast. 

The Sherco is just a Blue SCORPA.

The SHERCO is just a SCORPA

Maybe in the frame and parts, my Scorpa motor actually has Sherco cast into the lower case.....but says scorpa on the clutch cover.  I think the plan is similar to what KTM has done with Husqvarna; Husky is the development platform that then gets brought to the larger KTM platform after the bugs are worked out.  However, the Husky motor is all KTM.....

20 hours ago, elemetal said:

Maybe in the frame and parts, my Scorpa motor actually has Sherco cast into the lower case.....but says scorpa on the clutch cover.  I think the plan is similar to what KTM has done with Husqvarna; Husky is the development platform that then gets brought to the larger KTM platform after the bugs are worked out.  However, the Husky motor is all KTM.....

You need to read up on the history of Scorpa and Sherco ..... back in the late 1990'sthe  co-owner of Scorpa [Marc Teissier a French Supermarket chain owner] left Scorpa  to do his own thing and decided to re kindle the  Bultaco brand as a trials motorcycle because of a disagreement with his business partner at Scorpa over making a Scorpa's own designed motor[at the time they had started with Rotax motors and then went to Yamaha motors]anyway there were licensing problems with using the name Bultaco in some countries where they wished to sell trials motorcycles and so to solve the problem they chose SHERCO as the brand name [Sher from the Bultaco trials model the Sherpa T and CO from Company] .......When Scorpa later was going bust the owner of Sherco motorcycles[previously a co-owner/founder of Scorpa] decided to buy Scorpa and bring it back to life [at that time the Scorpas under Sherco ownership still had a frame and parts that were originally designed forYamaha motors that was until the Yamaha motors became too expensive to import along side notification from Yamaha that they were considering stopping production ........this is when Sherco motors started to be used in place of the Yamaha motors and the model changed from the Sy to the SR.....So yes you have a Sherco motor in your Scorpa [in the Twenty type model] with Scorpa on the casings  but its tuning specs are different to a Sherco ST motor they are Scorpa designed specs  giving different characteristics to the motor. As you said the frame and parts are different....they look similar but are not exactly the same design. The Scorpa is not just a Sherco painted orange.

As I said the Scorpa design is the original and the Sherco is the copy and came after the Scorpa even if the two companies have the same owner and both bikes share the same motor;albeit in different states of tune.

Teissier's  old business partner at Scorpa went on to found E Motion electric trials machines.

Edited by oni nou
  • Like 3

the frames are different, the plastic molding is different and not interchangeable, the decals are different, the tyres are different, the suspension front and rear is different, the wiring is different, the power/torque curves are different, out of the box the set up is quite different, they steer handle and react quite different

Edited by worldtrialchamp
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the history Oni, you're right I don't know much about them in the past.  My riding buddy is supposed to get his 2018 Sherco this next week and we will be able to do a real comparison of the two.  Both are 2018 Factory so some of the differences that worldtrialchamp mentioned (suspension mainly) won't be there (both have tech Al forks and Reiger 2 way shock).  A couple of us are very interested to see what differences you can feel riding them etc, I'll make sure to post up some of our comments afterwards.

• Like 2