Bultaco parts

Ciaran

Hello Ciaran, sorry to dampen your enthusiasm but as the engine has sat for eight years you may possibly find that the oil seals have hardened up. The bearings to may have corroded including the crank and big end so I would definitely be inspecting those. You may be lucky ( it’s an Irish thing) and find everything all lovely and new as previously described, fingers crossed but damp and condensation can be the devil. Hopefully the oil that was in the gearbox and clutch may have protected the internals, pull the head and barrel to check for smooth running of the main bearings and big end, check little end too! ?

I think I might be ok with the engine as the previous owner said every time he walked past the bike in the garage he turned over the engine with the kick start, hopefully things will be ok , having a big problem getting the swing arm bolt out, I can turn the bolt slightly but can’t drive it out I suspect its bent but it won’t budge hammered the **** out of it and not a budge may have to try and cut the head off the bolt and try and drive it out from the opposite side

The swingarm bolt rusting solid is not an uncommon problem. It's unlikely you'll drive it out, normally the spindle has to be cut through either side of the swingarm which can them be removed, then you can set about removing the spindle

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ciaran said:

Hi lads, my back wheel is in a sorry state anyone know if a good second wheel can be got

When you say "sorry state" is it the rim, hub or spokes?

The wheel could be possibly repaired, Leo O'Reilly Motorcycles, Dorset Street, Dublin, have been doing wheel rebuilding for years. 

I bought a secondhand reconditioned Rear Wheel from InMotion a couple of years back.

A reasonabley bad buckle, spokes are bad other wise I don’t think it’s to bad.  A new wheel and spokes is about 230 stg then the rebuild not sure what to do

Edited by Ciaran

Check the hub where the spokes cross in the lacing pattern, make sure the spoke flange is not to cut into by the spokes. If the brake drum is in reasonable condition you would be better off having a new rim laced onto your hub....better the devil etc. Secondhand wheels can came with all sorts of issues! Plus they ain’t going to be cheap. If the rim is just buckled this could be sorted by a competent wheel builder keeping the original rim. Corrosion and other factors affect the outcome but do some digging around with the numerous wheel experts for sound advice. Watch out for spoke and nipple mix as stainless nipples and spokes can lock up permanently if not lubed, your expert will advise.

13 hours ago, Ciaran said:

A reasonabley bad buckle, spokes are bad other wise I don’t think it’s to bad.  A new wheel and spokes is about 230 stg then the rebuild not sure what to do

As section swept said, but bear in mind a buckle may be trued out, or even if the rim is slightly damaged if really doesn't matter unless its a show bike.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi lads, has anyone ever tried to lace up a back wheel, if so when your on the brake drum side how do you get the brake liner that’s in the hub out so as to get access to the spoke holes , any ideas as I’m bringing it to a shop to relace but I might have to get the liner out first ???

• 1 month later...

On 12/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, bill black said:

Hello Ciaran , I'm in Meath and also resurrecting a 199A , the part covering the spoke ends is a thin steel band you can lever it out , I managed to shift My swingarm spindle with a bit if heat and gentle guntering ..... ?

Guntering.....does this involve the use of an effing great⚒ lump hammer by any chance? ?

Not so much a lump hammer but gentle persuasion alright , I was lucky I think , most of the bike came apart with not too much damage and I can salvage the swingarm bolt and bushes , it's all gone for powder coating and back next week shiny and blue all going well ......