Carole Nash Off Road Insurance

Beta rev'3

I didn't want to road register my 2019 Evo 250, which was the sticking point with Carol Nash and the fact that the advisers said something different every time I spoke to them..yes we can insure it...no we can't insure it...we can only insure upto 5K..we can't insure it unless it's the full amount of the cost of the bike...blah..blah.

I got fixed up with MSM for £181.32 which I thought was a good price, I'd to send in photo's of the Ground anchors and chains I used as that was part of the conditions, it's covered for fire & theft and also in transit.

I guess the usual where you live etc affects the quotes..

I have just bought a (registered) Beta Rev 3 (old one) and added it to my road bike insurance through Bikesure. https://www.bikesure.co.uk/  Cost?  Nowt.  Just an adjustment fee.  Would have been free if had left it until my renewal.  There is a £450 excess on theft.  (Road bike Suzuki 650)

The quote from MSM (two riders) was 114 TPO and 156 TPFT.

The difference as best I can see is you are not covered with my road bike policy for competitions.  As best I understand it the ACU covers competition use (RTA only) but you need insurance for the tax so the bike is legal for the road.  Will get the MOT in the next week or so.  I bought an EVO horn off ebay and it works OK.  (Will take it off once MOTd)  I have ordered a number plate for the test as well and found a little bracket (again ebay) to bolt it on that comes apart to take off the plate after the test.

It also struck me that if the road bike was out of action the Beta will keep my NCD running.  Win win.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I used to love Carole Nash before they went all commercial.

I had three bikes insured with then and they asked what else I owned.

I said a motor home and they duly quoted. Three times more than my current premium.

when I queried it they said " we don't really like motor homes" 

• 2 months later...

Carol Nash have really lost the plot, they don't recognise a bike they have been insuring for years. Asked me about no claims discount, even though they don't give it on classic policy's !!!  Really painful experience.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 6:33 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

If you ride ACU then you can have short term third party cover for trials through the ACU.  No idea what the cost is though but it may open up options for third party cover to get bike taxed etc.

it isn't mate, it is just an extension to your existing policy for the bit most riders have saying "excludes races, trials and pizza delivery"

9 hours ago, rabie said:

it isn't mate, it is just an extension to your existing policy for the bit most riders have saying "excludes races, trials and pizza delivery"

That's basically what I was saying - with the ACU covering the event aspect you can take out a policy that does not cover trials use, thus opening up choices in the market in order to tax the bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question but to get covered by 'normal' bike insurance policy, ie carol nash road cover, does the bike require a valid MOT as well as being road registered? Mine's road registered but not sure if I can be bothered with an MOT. Just want to protect against theft 

Edited by Superted_Holty

I notice that some insurers are now requiring vehicles to have a current "MOT".  Whether in response to the law change for older vehicles or not I don't know. It does raise the point of how you get a vehicle with an expired certificate to a test station though.