280 or 300?

betaboy100

It's been a while since I rode a GG 300, but I ride a 280 at present. GG doesn't sell a bike with anything other than a Keihin on it at the moment.

I think if you like a 250 but want just a bit more torque, which I appreciate especially given the 4/5 gearing on the GG, the 280 is great. It's more like a 250+ rather than a 300- if that makes any sense. You really need to try both though, I'm sure you can scrounge up a test ride.

IMO the 280 is a horrible bike, all its power is low down, jumpy, hard to find grip (great for the dry however). All the guys i know with a 280 always end up putting a flywheel weight on it. The 300 has a far superior lower end, torquey and smooth. As long as you dont let it get away from you too much (it can run away with some people above half throttle) id go with the 300. I still dont know why gg make a 280 to be honest. If youre a clubman, get a 250, if youre an expert a 300. And if you really want my opinion, these are the only two you should be considering. The 280 is this weird middle ground, i dont think it even knows what it is itself. It really is starting to split hairs at the difference.

All in all though, the difference isnt much, and if youre coming from a 2011 bike, the difference in buying a new bike alone will be a lot greater than the difference between a 280 and a 300

Edited by faussy

Just goes to show,  depends who you ask. I now ride a TRS 280, I  previously had 280 gg. Owned 250 and 300 gas gas at different times but the 280 was always my favourite. Strange but for the very reasons faussy doesn't like it. I liked the low down torque and it wasn't too much higher up the rev range. Didn't really have an issue with grip, just make it pull and it grips.

The 250 didn't have enough torque, the 300 was just too much , it just wore me out. All of my 280s and 300s had a flywheel weight. But a lot of very good gas gas riders use them, I suggest actually it should have a heavier flywheel weight out of the box. Last Gas Gas I had was a 2014 racing. 

I rode a 250gp recently,  that certainly had more power than the last 250 I owned so I'd suggest you try the latest models.

• Like 2

At least we agree on the differences, and only disagree on what we think of the differences. The 280 seems to be a fan among the semi expert, middle of the road kinda riders. The guys i know (mostly semi expert riders) who have fitted the flywheel weight to a 280 swear by them. Out of the box (without weight) i find them a little wicked low down

Edited by faussy

I started off riding 12 GG TXT280 & adding flywheel weight with 1 tooth smaller (10T) front sprocket tamed it down enough for me to enjoy it. Bought 16 Evo 300 and rode it for a season and really enjoyed the low-end grunt it has. Then I bought used 15 Evo 200 to help me improve my techniques, without relying on extra grunt that 300 has. A few months ago I installed heavier flywheel on my 300 and it improved its ability to reduce stalling at very slow speeds. All things given, I'd like to get a 19 Evo 200 for next season and keep my 300 for really muddy events where it shines.

Well in an ideal world i would keep the 11 gasgas 280 and get the 19 300 but i have no way of storing 2 bikes unfortunately. I like my 280 at the minute, it had the fly wheel weight on back when i first got, since then iv removed it and like the zip it gives but do sometimes find it to be a little 'snatchy'. Really undecided. 

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciated.