Pikeyboy

Pikeyboy

Hi all I’m new to this forum. I acquired a 1980? Ty175 about a year ago and I’m just starting to re condition it hoping for some help and support. My first hurdle is removing the flywheel. I’ve managed to remove the centre nut doesn’t seem to be a washer behind it? I’ve now threaded two pullers trying to get the flywheel off. Is there something I’m missing? It says in the book tighten the puller and hit the central bolt but it’s stuck solid? Any help would be greatfully received.

There should be a washer, poke around with a fine screwdriver and see if you can hook it out. Assuming you have the correct flywheel puller you undo the centre bolt, screw the puller body in as far as it will go and then fit the centre bolt and keep screwing it in until the flywheel pops off. Keep an eye out for and don’t lose the woodruff key that positions the flywheel on the shaft. Cheers 

Many thanks for your help. I’ve had a good long look no sign of a washer I think what’s happened is the shaft has turned over the key way some how I’ve got an external puller on it now as tight as it will go and still not moving nightmare. Thanks for confirmation that I wasn’t missing anything just don’t know where to go from here?

When you have fitted the correct pulled into the flywheel, tighten the centre bolt until it is pushing against the crankshaft centre threaded portion. You will need to lock the flywheel to prevent it turning against your tightening the puller centre bolt, try to do this with care as you may damage components inside the flywheel space. Take a 2 pound hammer or copper faced hammer would be better and give a sharp blow to the puller centre bolt, aim to hit the bolt face square on. Now tighten the centre bolt a little more ( half to a full turn if possible) and hit the bolt again. This may sound brittle but it usually works. If you found no washer behind the crankshaft flywheel retainer nut then it’s possible that the nut has chewed the metal of the flywheel into the crankshaft, brute force may be the only way. If this is your first time at doing this it can appear to be a bit of a trial but you should succeed. Be careful if you use a puller that grips the outside edge of the flywheel as this may crack the thing. Good luck?

On mine even with the correct puller it was difficult - I wouldn't even attempt it without one. The TY type pullers aren't expensive in the great scheme of things, like less than a tenner.

And then cobble something together to hold the flywheel.  2 foot of Dexion angle iron, a TY front brake arm and a couple of long bolts work for me, but I'm sure there are more elegant solutions!

There is a Haynes manual for the TY which is worth having.

If you have a Dremmel try cleaning up the chewed area that the retaining nut tightens against. If you are converting to electronic ignition you will need the old flywheel....but check with your supplier as some kits contain a flywheel as well. Don’t give up on getting the flywheel off because sooner or later you will need to change those contacts or at least reface them and then of course the crank seals will need doing or even the main bearings. So get your sleeves rolled up and don’t give in....the flywheel went on so it must come off. Check very carefully that there is no bodge up pin inserted into the hub of the flywheel locking it to the crankshaft, although I would have thought that would have been overcome by the puller. Can’t see any suppliers of new flywheels but someone may know of a few. While you are looking at the flywheel the correct retention used by Yamaha is: first on a flat washer, next on is a spring washer, last is the retaining nut listed as special....TY Parts UK have these in stock. That flat washer if it’s still in the flywheel hub could be the cause of your problem, but I would have thought by now it would have at least budged a little. Go for it there’s always fleabay if it all goes pear shaped. Have you used a hot air gun or blow torch (carefully) on the inside of the flywheel hub? It’s amazing the effect a little threatening can do to an obstinate inanimate metal component??? 

Hi thanks again for your advice. I’ve tried heating the area probably a bit hotter than I should? Soaked it in WD40 hot and cold still no movement. I’ve ordered another puller but I’m away tomorrow for 2 weeks so when I get back I’ll try it again and keep you all posted. Here’s a picture of the evil b........d just incase I’ve missed something.

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all a wee update. Back from my hols tried new puller this morning and yippee it popped off no trouble I think the previous pullers weren’t threading in all the way or poor quality because the new one screwed all the way home tightened up one hit with the hammer and off it came. Many thanks for all your advice guys now to order and replace the points.