What about putting a inner tube on a 4.00 R18 rear tire 2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro

thesaint

The rear tire on one og my bikes is leaking out all og the air within a few hours. The tire size is 4.00 R18 so what do you think of putting a inner tube in the tire?

I read that tube size 110/90-18, 110 /100-18 and 120/100-18 will fit the 4.00- R18 rear tire. Any knows if this is correct? 

Link to ebay where they say the tube fit the dim above:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ULTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-4mm-INNER-TUBE-MX-MOTOCROSS-OFF-ROAD-110-100-18-120-100-18/291402295585?hash=item43d8ee2921:g:KhwAAOSwZjJU~XGd

Edited by thesaint

I would see if you can correctly solve the problem and keep it tube less.  

The low pressures in trials with a tube will likely have you getting pinch flats frequently with a tube and will also need a rim lock witch would require drilling a second hole in the rim if you do that to prevent the tire from rotating and tearing the valve stem out.

good luck making your decision.

Edited by jonnyc21

The leak is on my 2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro i can off course take off the rim flap (see the red arrow on the drawing from the parts manual below) and clean the the "groove" in the rim where the rim flap sits and also clean the sides on the rear rim and hope that this will fix the leak

I suppose that this is the best way to fix the leak, 

Never had any problem with the tires leaking air on my 2006 Gas Gas TXT 250 Pro and or my 1998 Gas Gas TX 321 Contact there are no problems with any leaks on the wheels at all 

2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro. Rear trim flap see red arrow.jpg

My 2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro.JPG

Edited by thesaint
  • Like 1

I've run tubes on tubeless rims on my last couple of bikes, spanning a period of some 7/8 years. No rim lock used, no tyre creep experienced, no problems. Generally run 3.5 psi. Last bike I bought had normal tubeless set-up and I am unable to tell the difference from a riding point of view.

• Like 4

No need for a security bolt - the air does not know it is in a tube (which conforms to the internal shape of the tyre and rim) and exerts the same pressure on the carcass as it would without the tube.  If the tyre grips the rim tubeless then it will grip just as well with a tube if correctly seated.  I ran a Beta for long enough with a tube and there was no creep.

Clearly a tube could pinch puncture more easily than a tubeless tyre but, in reality, it does not seem to be a problem.  I've never tried the experiment but if a tube so punctured within a slow leaking tubeless tyre would not you just end up with a slow leaking tubeless tyre with an empty tube in it as the tyre would retain the released air?

However, I'm prepared to believe that a small handful of riders from the world of trials could, in a blind test, tell if a tubeless tyre had a tube in it from the performance viewpoint.  They all have technicians to sort leaky rims though.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

FYI: I have seen a rear tire shift on a trials bike at 3.5 psi and would have taken the valve stem off with the amount of shift.  I think it was an older Dunlop 803 but don't remember for sure as it was some time ago so not impossible for it to happen, though I admit I have only ever seen it once.  

A 120/100X18 is the metric equivalent of  a 4.00 X18 tyre............ tyres and rims that are designed to be tubeless are pointless.the designers were just saving money by not having to include a tube.....a tube fitted in a tubeless tyre set up is much better;you should definitely fit one it  is the best upgrade you could have....by the way your rim is not a standard GasGas rim it has come off a Beta a Sherco or Xispa although it is the same as the standard rim that would have been anodised silver like your front rim

• Haha 1

If i am not using a tube i wil rather carefully take off the rim flap and clean it with soapy water. First i  will use a steel or brass brush to clean the sides of the rim and where the trim flap sits and so clean everything with soapy water

If i do not use a inner tube

But i guess if i clean the rim flap and rim the wheel will hold air 

On 01/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, thesaint said:

The rear tire on one og my bikes is leaking out all og the air within a few hours. The tire size is 4.00 R18 so what do you think of putting a inner tube in the tire?

I read that tube size 110/90-18, 110 /100-18 and 120/100-18 will fit the 4.00- R18 rear tire. Any knows if this is correct? 

Link to ebay where they say the tube fit the dim above:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ULTRA-HEAVY-DUTY-4mm-INNER-TUBE-MX-MOTOCROSS-OFF-ROAD-110-100-18-120-100-18/291402295585?hash=item43d8ee2921:g:KhwAAOSwZjJU~XGd

A tube is an easy and quick solution that will do the trick. You will lose a little bit of grip but unless you are riding in serious competitions it probably wont notice that much.

On 01/10/2018 at 9:57 PM, oni nou said:

A 120/100X18 is the metric equivalent of  a 4.00 X18 tyre............ tyres and rims that are designed to be tubeless are pointless.the designers were just saving money by not having to include a tube.....a tube fitted in a tubeless tyre set up is much better;you should definitely fit one it  is the best upgrade you could have....by the way your rim is not a standard GasGas rim it has come off a Beta a Sherco or Xispa although it is the same as the standard rim that would have been anodised silver like your front rim

Complete rubbish, again. Didnt you say on another thread tapes were easy to fit???

Tubeless tyres have many benefits for the rider.

A tube type tyre is a pain to fit, a total nightmare out in a competition to mend (saw a couple of lads trying to do it near Blackwater last week in rain and cold) and always needs constant maintenance.

Grip is less with a tubed tubeless.

Off a Xispa? very unlikely were any even in Northern europe?

Edited by nigel dabster