Rotax Head DeCompressor Thread Size.

fourex

Could someone please tell me what this thread size should be, my Jumbo currently has an unsightly M12 x 1.5 hex head bolt and nut fitted which will only screw in about 10 mm before it meets resistance. It's been messed up by a previous owner as the thread in the head looks awful, I would just like to return the thread to what it was originally either by re-tapping or helicoiling and then fitting a suitable socket head bolt to block it off.  A couple of pics attached, Cheers.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Edited by fourex
naughty word used.

Does it matter, the threads mushed. Most decompressor valves are the same thread as the spark plug, it will need helicoiling or a thread insert boss fitting. All of these can be got on that website that has the same name as a dam great river begins with Am, and not too dear either. The insert boss will look good but most people would opt for a helicoil, from an access point of view you should be able to do the repair in situ. I may be wrong but it looks like you have an insert in there already. If the hole is too big you will need a thread boss insert, these are totally different to a helicoil and I suggest you do a search on google before spending out on an unsuitable repair. If you are going to fit a decompressor valve a kit is available from the usual dealers at approx£40 with cable, lever etc. If just blanking off then it is important to completely fill the hole down to the roof of the combustion chamber. The current bodge up has reduced your compression ratio slightly.

Edited by section swept

I asked myself the same question as you the other year, but decided to thrash de whole decompressor kit, took the head off and welded up the hole from both ends. Strange, but I have never missed the decompressor after that, as the Rotax engine is such an easy starter (when set up right). 

I like to have the decompressor it makes  starting much easier and does not stress the kick start mechanism so much.

I think about putting one to my TXR too.

The Rotax type decompression unit works very smooth much better then the Montesa type for example.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks, I ended up installing a 12 x 1.25mm helicoil and plugged it with a socket head bolt and alloy washer, I never really intended to fit a decompressor just wanted to return it to whatever was the original thread.  If the 1.25 thread pitch is not as per original than it doesn't really matter now.

Edited by fourex