Cota 247 Tank

baurespdx

hello everyone,

I repainted my Cota 247 tank recently with fairly expensive automotive paint and 2k Clear coat but after around a few days of a little gas sitting in the tank i started seeing bubbles forming on the top of the tank. I used a very fine needle to pop one and gas secreted from it.  I dumped all the gasoline out and rinsed the tank with near boiling water and dish soap to absorb the oil and gas to stop the deterioration further. Am I okay to seal with caswell now? or is this just going to get worse and worse? I really don’t want to paint it again. thanks!

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Have you considered using an alloy tank or a plastic tank, the inside of your existing tank and seat unit has the bottom of the tank cut out so that you now have a shell or shelter for the tank similar to some other bikes like some Hondas etc. InMotion did a similar kit for the Bultaco Sherpa, out of stock currently. I’m still deliberating about this but more input from others is always useful. Even thought about getting a couple of aluminium flasks to insert into the tank securely and combine the filler necks into one. Capacity of fuel would be reduced slightly and twin taps are needed but it’s looks to be doable. What do you think! At least you don’t have to worry about sealant breaking free and blocking thefuel supply at a very inconvenient time ie mid section. In fact the more I think about this the more it looks possible. It’s that or a small tank off a scrap bike made to fit with or without a shelter cover. Anyone fancy a legal action against the Government for allowing Ethanol to be used causing untold amounts of damage and cost to our expensive fuel burners storage devices.

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1

Briefly . its blamed on modern petrol. The old fibreglass isn't resistant to the ethanol in our modern petrol. Although also the original tanks were not painted so the fibreglass could breathe. As I have a 348 ,

alloy tanks with GRP covers turn up second hand now an again.