SWM Modifications

dozerash

• 1 year later...

I’m planning on going through my 1982 TL320 this winter. I’m thinking of making it my semi modern bike. I seen someplace where someone installed a front disk brake. I’ve also seen some hydraulic clutch mods on the SWMs. Electronic ignition and new carburetor. Any other ideas? I have a 1980 TL320 that’s mostly stock (except electronic ignition) that I can use for vintage legal events. The 1982 I would use in modern events. 

11 hours ago, dozerash said:

Anyone try one of these for hydraulic clutch?

TC-Motor Red 1200mm Line Hydraulic Clutch Handle Lever Master Cylinder For Pit Dirt Bike Motocross Motorcycle 

I haven't used one myself yet but have seen them in use on some old trials bikes and was thinking of trying one on a KT250 as part of a silly game with a friend who has an unusual clutch system on his KT.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:22 AM, b40rt said:

Have you checked which springs are in the clutch ? 

When I bought the bike it had a couple of clutch springs removed. It slipped way too much for my weight. I reinstalled all the springs. It’s not super hard to pull in just not a one finger pull. Thought a hydraulic setup would make it one finger.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:37 AM, b40rt said:

@feetupfun , I agree, and I have a brembo disc and m/c on another bike and they are no better than a good condition standard setup with modern brake shoes.

I put new shoes and cable, cleaned and lubed everything and they work much better than the Ossa I had but still not great. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, dozerash said:

I put new shoes and cable, cleaned and lubed everything and they work much better than the Ossa I had but still not great. Any suggestions?

Machine the brake drum surface smooth and true and fit brake shoe linings that are sized to exactly match the drum diameter.

This usually requires relining the shoes with oversize lining material (5mm or 6mm thick) which is a service available through automotive brake repair shops. The linings are then machined or ground back to match the drum. Choose a lining material that provides the most friction. The ones I use are forklift brake lining material and after doing what I have described, are every bit as good as the two-pot Brembo disc front on my TY250Z. I've heard there is also lining material designed to work on brakes that operate under water and that this material works well on trials bikes (that often have wet brakes) but I haven't tried it yet.

If you try and do the radius matching without fitting thicker linings the angle of the actuation cam will cause sliding of the edge against the cam follower and this creates extra friction and springiness. There is a cheapskate way to get away without getting thicker linings. By packing out the pivot end of the shoes and then machining the linings back to match the drum. This can even be done with shoes that have a full circle pivot hole like a Bultaco (by rebushing the pivot hole off centre)

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2