What's in a name?

breagh

We need to give this old feet up nonsense a bit of re branding.

Trials ? the general public think Trail and then associate it with MX.

Last week I was assured  that a lad at the wee boys school was mad keen on Trials found out he had a KTM.

Today setting out another lad appeared on the hill having been told about our wee club from a friend I've known about 15 years, he had a KX 125.

Any suggestions? 

As a young lad I recognised the difference between trials and trails machines. When I was a lad a long time ago....trail bikes were actually greenlane bikes which were a version of the ISDT bikes that many drooled over. Trials riding was around years before trail riding which is an unrecognised sport.  

If anyone is serious about this sport they will not need to be reminded about the difference. 

As a revised name how about Competition Trials Riding abbreviated to CTR when necessary, or .....

Twin Shock Trials Sport

Monoshock Trials Sport

Pre-65 Motorcycle Trials Sport

Edited by section swept

I've noticed an increased tendency of late for trials to be misspelt as trails, even by experienced folk on this site who definitely know better. I've just put that down to keyboard error.

What's in a name? Probably not much actually. Any title our sport may adopt wouldn't convey to a total newcomer what's actually entailed. That would require further explanation or seeing it for themselves. As such, "trial" is fine. 

By way of interest, when I started decades ago the ACU handbook defined trials as "a competition in which participants endeavour to fulfil prescribed conditions". So that made it clear for everyone.

As our Spanish Cousins make the bikes and, I understand, aren't to shabby on them either, what about a more 'hispanic'  name, how about Las Motos Fiascos or maybe Motos Gymnastico or Motos Equilibrio!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, micm said:

As our Spanish Cousins make the bikes and, I understand, aren't to shabby on them either, what about a more 'hispanic'  name, how about Las Motos Fiascos or maybe Motos Gymnastico or Motos Equilibrio!

Thats nearly as bad as saying "because more people play football in america than england, it should be called soccer instead"

Dont forget your history son