Trs chain adjusters

jon kay

Adjusted the chain on my 17 trs yesterday . Noticed the 6mm adjuster bolts seemed tight . Carefully removed them and saw rust on the threads but no damage . Greased and put back . Might be worth other owners checking before it becomes a bigger problem .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

A lesson learned?  It's standard practice for the experienced rider to grease every thread it's possible to get at when buying a bike, new or used.

Pity the manufacturers dont ....

• Like 1

Especially bad in dissimilar materials like steel bolt on aluminium. Worse when alkaline soap is used to clean the bike (always look the PH before).

Loctite, 3M and others have dedicated products to prevent bolt seizure. Worth a try.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 2 years later...

As we are locked down and cannot ride I thought I would do the chain and sprockets.  Looks like the last owner struggled with this - one of the bolts slightly bent.  Sadly even with three days of penetrating oil and tiny turns I managed to finish the job off and snapped the bolt.  So a twenty minute job has become a day.  Swinging arm out to get the broken bolt out and new bolts and copper grease both sides.  I guess it is bad workmanship before - the rear sprocket bolts were two different types (cannot surely be normal?)

Anyway - worth bumping the thread and remind anyone that is bored sitting at home this is a worthwhile job.  So far this is the only bad point I have found on the bike.

There's drain holes in the bottom of the swing arm at the spindle end which are easily blocked ,ending up with the adjustment bolts sitting in water .If they've not been greased they seize up easily.Worth replacing them with stainless steel ones

6 hours ago, huski said:

There's drain holes in the bottom of the swing arm at the spindle end which are easily blocked ,ending up with the adjustment bolts sitting in water .If they've not been greased they seize up easily.Worth replacing them with stainless steel ones

I wish I had known that a week ago.  You are correct and once the mud is cleaned out it would be an obvious way to get WD40 into the threads at the other end.  I might have got away with the oil and tiny turn routine.

I will make a point of keeping this clean and lubed now.