Bashed up but better

Rob the bake

Hi guys I’ve more or less recovered from a life threatening road accident some ignorant git ran straight into me while I was on my beloved ktm 250 exc , I’ve had 2 stroke ktm and 6 days 4 stroke , raced in cotswold enduro slow pete series also hours and hours of green laning, been a off reader for 8 years, It’s took me 3 years to recover and I have a metal left leg from knee upwards and a titanium shoulder with 50% movement of left arm , so wife said no more bikes or divorce , but surprisingly she is ok with a trails bike as I’ll ever ride on the road again , I am 53 6 foot tall and since accident now way around 16 stone ( can’t wait to ride again as love it but also to get fit again bored of my face of swimming and the gym ) I live in langar in the Vale of Belvoir, need advice on good club to join tracks to practice and would like to make some friends into same sport 

do I buy a 250 or 125 to start  seen loads of 250 for sale also like 4 stroke , I’m happy to start with 125 if that’s the right way to start , 

thanks in advance of any advice 

rob

Has your wife seen a trial? She might ban that as well unless she likes sheer rock steps :rolleyes:. Sorry, just noticed where you live so you should be safe.

In all honesty condition rather than engine size should be your main priority choosing a secondhand bike. Good idea to get along to a local event and chat to some riders about their bikes, even blag a quick ride if you can.

Edited by cleanorbust

Well first off welcome and thank Lady Luck that you were not wiped out permanently. By the way it’s TRIALS please refer to other posts, it’s a common thing to get the two names mixed up. Try and make friends with someone who will let you try there bike before you decide on buying anything...not always an easy thing but join a local club and start talking. Have a word with your doctor as any real off could seriously affect your repaired body areas. I’m 6ft+ and shrinking but 16 stone is a bit heavy, possibly muscle density is the culprit, you will need stamina rather than loads of strength, aim to lose at least a stone. As you have had a Ktoom you will be familiar with standing up most of the time and you should consider the effect that this might have on your left leg ( I’m not sure about this as you say metal leg from the knee upwards?? ) Please take this post as constructive as I too know what it is like to have your body messed up but not the extent that you have suffered. You say that you have 50% left arm movement, this may hinder your ability to negotiate some sections and bike handling. Don’t get me wrong you may well be riding like a world champion after some time but Twin Shock Trials might be a way to develop yourself before entering the more challenging modern trials bike sections. What ever you decide I wish you every success, I recently met a biker who had lost half of his shoulder and actually died at the road side but was brought back by the medics, he now rides a 1580cc Harley and his wife refuses to ride with him but accepts his need to ride, Hope your other half is as understanding.

Hi Rob 

There's a few great clubs and venues near to where you live

Loughborough has a trial on in 2 weeks come and have a gander

ESTC has own practice ground, ideal for beginners 

Pegasus probably your closest venues

As for the bike, 250 is fine, if you'd prefer a 4T then Montesa 4RT all day long or a Beta 4T if you'd prefer a carb, perhaps a trials experience day would be of benefit

Before you can ride in a trial you'll need an ACU trials licence (although I believe some clubs are now doing day licences) 

Edited by ourian
add a bit

Check out the reliability of some of the more modern offerings, some are subject to kickstart shaft/gear faults developing just from using them either incorrectly or too many times.....fragility in a system that should be very robust. As a previous KToom owner with both 2T and 4T you will probably get on straight away with either. The other option that may ease you back into off-road riding would be to get a KTM Freeride and spend some time riding the trails, this should help with all manner of easing your body and helping to build confidence in balance and weight transfer etc. Liesuretrail uk Nottingham may be the dealer to help here as they are (as I am sure you may be aware) KTM and Beta dealers...also Osset that could also be a contender. It’s only money but you get my drift, I haven’t dealt with them for a few years but they certainly did good servicing on my 990 Adventure, no new info on them.

Just my personal opinion (so I could be wrong), but I would say there is only a small difference in the severity of Twinshock v Modern routes. Probably just about inline with the bikes' capabilities. So the choice is yours. I fancy a 125 might be a bit lacking in grunt for a big bloke like you. A 250 won't be too fearsome and there are ways to tone them down if necessary. Sirdabalot makes a good point about the Beta kickstart, but only you will know if that will be an issue for your tin leg. I would have thought that 50% arm movement would be fine: you don't have to flail it around like a windmill. A trials experience day would seem a good idea: you might hate it.

My only small note of caution would be to consider the potential effect of a heavy fall on your bionic bits. Since starting less than a year ago at the age of 64, I've done more than my fair share of inspecting the ground in close-up. Either it goes with the territory, or it's just me. :o I've collected a considerable collection of bumps and bruises (and a couple of burns), but nothing sufficient to stop me.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't really notice a difference in classic vs. novice modern sections, but the difference in riding a stockish twinshock is quite large.  I love my TY due to a mix of nostalgia and the ability to enter any trial on it :)

As someone with a half metal leg, novice level trials has been fine - none of that jumping off big objects etc, and nothing more than bruises from coming off.  If I were you I'd start out on something like a Gasgas Pro 250 - lighter than a 4 stroke (not a factor for riding, as much as a factor in pulling it out of funny places), pretty gentle power delivery, but with enough grunt to move you around - I started at 12 stone on a 125 and that was ok, 16 stone might make one struggle on a climb.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy trials as much as I do!

A 125 is fine for skinny school boys but I suspect you’ll want something with more grunt. You can detune the big bikes but they are still hard to kick so you must take good leg bad leg into consideration. As pointed out Betas kick on the correct side while all the others, well I don’t know what they were thinking.?

Best thing is to try a few. If you can get to a local event there are always bikes for sale. If you haven’t tried a trials bike be prepared to be surprised. They respond instantly to input. I’ve watched a lot of experianced riders flip them thinking they’re weak little toys.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 5:45 PM, Rob the bake said:

Thank you all I think visiting a trail would be best 

Welcome!!!

FYI: Looks like your autocorrect is swapping trial to trail... :ph34r:

On a more important note, at 16 stone and your past bike experience you should be fine on a 250 and I would think a 125 would feel a bit under powered.  As for brand of bike, try as many as you can at a club event and you should have your answer.  

Glad your still with us as and I hope trials gives you back some or even more of the fulfillment your old KTM did.

good luck.  

I am sorry to hear about your injuries, hope they get better with time.   As trials require full lock to lock movements with the handlebars, will this be Ok with your restricted arm movement..?  On a road bike you only need to move the bars an inch or so in fast bends, but trials requires the full lock quite often.

There are a few venues (e.g.  in N Wales.) where the course in-between sections can also be a challenge, think of slippery muddy 100 yard climbs etc.  Will you be Ok if you need to get off and push..?    Also most courses are 4 laps of 10 sections nowadays.    Ask locally if there are any simple events to attend..  I hope it works out for you..