Swingarm ID

Cribbs74

As I go through this 151 Sherpa I am seeing some things that are unusual. Trying to sort out the wheat from chaff if you will. Pretty much have it all figured out except the swing arm.

I can’t tell if it’s a stock piece or an aftermarket accessory or a factory modified unit. It has plates welded to it to allow you to change shock positions. It certainly appears to look professional.

28F4558A-ECB3-43F5-87F1-7EEBF343EC90.jpeg

E31B2959-67E9-4E05-8807-5283EBDF2090.jpeg

That doesn’t look ‘factory’ at all. There’s too much material stuck on the swinging arm for it to be a professional modification. I would be looking at getting another swinging arm or removing as much of the excess weight as possible. You’ve got a lot of spokes missing too! What’s the rest of the bike like?

Not production, someone has added those messing with shock position. The original mounting point is still there with the big headed slot screw. It also has the later type wheel, the 151 had the Pursang type split hub. Nothing wrong with the later wheel of course, smaller and neater hub. Make sure the chrome lining is intact in the hub and check the bearing housing on the brake side as they can wear leaving a loose fitting bearing and if it is slack allowing the bearing to move or 'chatter' a bit, the housing can crack and open up rendering it useless and needing repair

• Like 1

The bike is a hot mess, to put it mildly. Basically at this point I am just sorting through the mud and figuring out what’s good and what’s not. I have a M125 that has a good swingarm so I will just use that. 

Woody, your timing was impeccable as I had just attempted to fit the brake plate I received from Bultaco Classics and realized it was way too large. So what wheel do I have? I would like to exchange the brake plate out for the one that fits. 

The hub is roughly 124mm and it has some Identification on the rim, but looks to be generic. Chrome lining is in great shape.

Ron

CD8EFD31-ADA7-40C0-83AA-0A1358C71944.jpeg

9D40B8C4-0723-4ABA-BE8C-7A64E8A559A0.jpeg

From what I can see of it, it looks like the hub used on the Sherpas from 1975/6 M159 up to the last 199b model. Off the top of my head I don't know the diameter. I'm not familiar with Alpinas so don't know what hubs they had, but don't think they used hubs like that.  There should be a steel ring plate cover that fits over the spoke ends and is held in place by the sprocket

Thanks Woody,

I contacted Tim Weaver this AM and he is going to swap out the brake plate for the later model. Looks like the 159 has a partially polished hub so I will go that route so it will look somewhat correct, or at least match the front hub.

Any idea if the 151 wheel spacer work with that hub? Or is it a trial and error thing?

not the best pictures, but the hub looks like this one.

56D5DCCB-CD34-4532-9B3E-D19C3C5D832B.jpeg

Edited by Cribbs74