Ideal kid bike?

Mountainbrad

I want to get my 11 year old son a trials bike. Gas powered is preferred. The riding around here, in Squamish, British Columbia, Canada, is long climbs with steep technical trails. Me and my buddies are less into observed trials, more into climbing steep rock faces and wicked rooty sections. Electric doesn't cut it here.

This is obviously not the type of terrain for my beginner son, who has no motorized experience, but is a decent mountain biker. Is a 125 to big?

Hi Brad,My 13 year old has a Beta 80 big wheel and  I don't think he's ever been limited by the power it would certainly go up anything he was brave enough to attempt.

Lot cheaper than a 125 too and seem to hold there value well, be my pick but still could be a stretch for an 11 year old.. 

• 5 years later...
On 10/9/2018 at 2:19 AM, Mountainbrad said:

I want to get my 11 year old son a trials bike. Gas powered is preferred. The riding around here, in Squamish, British Columbia, Canada, is long climbs with steep technical trails. Me and my buddies are less into observed trials, more into climbing steep rock faces and wicked rooty sections. Electric doesn't cut it here.

This is obviously not the type of terrain for my beginner son, who has no motorized experience, but is a decent mountain biker. Is a 125 to big?

no a 125 is not to big but if he is comepleatly new with trials you could peffer a 80cc first but he wil grov out fast i am 13 1st year of trials and already grown out of my 2007 80cc gasgas so dont waste money on a 80cc like me and my dad did. buy a 125 it will last him longer

Edited by eirik

From observation; the biggest problem with small frame trials bikes is the limitation to not run full size radial trials tires and rider size is a better gauge then age.  Some young people get real big faster than others. Lots of engine power or lack of horses is less of an issue for most if it has a clutch and some gears, small frame bikes with minimal suspension and small wheels, electric bikes and automatic transmissions all limit the young riders ability to fully experience or navigate trials terrain.

20 hours ago, lemur said:

From observation; the biggest problem with small frame trials bikes is the limitation to not run full size radial trials tires and rider size is a better gauge then age.  Some young people get real big faster than others. Lots of engine power or lack of horses is less of an issue for most if it has a clutch and some gears, small frame bikes with minimal suspension and small wheels, electric bikes and automatic transmissions all limit the young riders ability to fully experience or navigate trials terrain.

Electric bikes limit ability to fully experience or navigate trials terrain? Obviously no-one told Gael Chatagno that. 😂

5 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Electric bikes limit ability to fully experience or navigate trials terrain? Obviously no-one told Gael Chatagno that. 😂

What kid size electric bike has a clutch and gears?  And what electric bike that runs full size trials tires complete with a clutch etc. does not cost more than a regular modern trials bike 😂

Had to google Gael Chatagno, that’s no kid, thats a really big adult to name drop in a discussion about kid size trials bikes.

add: says his first bike at age 5 was a PW50

Edited by lemur

On 11/30/2023 at 6:16 PM, lemur said:

Had to google Gael Chatagno, that’s no kid, thats a really big adult to name drop in a discussion about kid size trials bikes.

add: says his first bike at age 5 was a PW50

My point was that electric bikes don't have a limited ability. They've completed the Scottish Six Days and Gael Chatagno performs at a very high level in international trials.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

My point was that electric bikes don't have a limited ability. They've completed the Scottish Six Days and Gael Chatagno performs at a very high level in international trials.

Well there you have it then, the ideal kids bike is obviously what Gael Chatagno rode in the SSD 🤨

Edited by lemur
Spell check suks