Bing Carb problem

evo boy

Hello All, I rode my 350 sherpa last weekend and if started to p*** fuel out of the overflow on the carb. It didn't matter if it was running or not. I took the float bowl off and everything seem ok. It's never done this before and I would like to keep my Bing.

Did you pull the float out? It’s easy to do and like mentioned above it’s probably junk caught in needle and seat. A quick teardown should alleviate the problem.

carb overflows are common to every manufacture of carb. Bing is no exception. 

Is there an inline fuel filter installed? 

• 4 months later...

Good afternoon. I stripped my Bing down cleaned and refitted and still leaking fuel out of both overflow pipes even then not running. I restripped and replaced the float needle valve checked floats themselves and they seem ok but still having the same problem. Spoke to inmotion and he has recommend me getting a new Mikuni 26mm what do people think? I like the way power is on the Bing tho.

Many thanks

Replace the float, it's the same one used in the 32mm Bings on BMW airheads and is available and inexpensive. I've been running a used BMW float for a few years but I think it might be time to buy a new one. I can't fault the logic that the best repair for a Bing is to replace it with a Mikuni though.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:01 AM, motovita said:

Replace the float, it's the same one used in the 32mm Bings on BMW airheads and is available and inexpensive. I've been running a used BMW float for a few years but I think it might be time to buy a new one. I can't fault the logic that the best repair for a Bing is to replace it with a Mikuni though.

Thanks Motovita. Where would I get one of those floats from? Inmotion said Bing floats are discontinued and any parts are really hard to find now. I don't want to change for a Mikuni but may have to.

7 hours ago, evo boy said:

Thanks Motovita. Where would I get one of those floats from? Inmotion said Bing floats are discontinued and any parts are really hard to find now. I don't want to change for a Mikuni but may have to.

The float I used was from my 94 R100 GS and was identical to the original float. In the U.S. BMWs came with 32mm carbs, in other markets 40mm carbs were standard, I don't know if they use the same float so you might double check that. In the U.S. I've found BMW dealers to be a good, and the least expensive, source for Bing parts.

Edited by motovita
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bill black said:

I have a BM , motobins and motorworks in the UK will have parts they're where I get all my bits

Regards

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have found a float that looks right. Doesn't anyone know If this is?

Screenshot_20190219-185826_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just bought a float listed for BMW myself.The seller was on ebay but looks as though mine was the last one as they are no longer listing it. Looks the same as you have shown and fits fine in Bultaco Bing 84 or whatever it is. From memory the Bing part number is 300 or 301.