Cylinder re-sleeve

Cribbs74

I brought it up in another post, but I thought it might be best to start a new thread in case anyone else wants to know.

Anyway, does anyone re-sleeve Bultaco cylinders?  Are new sleeves even available?

Edited by Cribbs74

Original (NOS) replacement sleeves (made by Bultaco) for the popular models have been used up.

There are businesses that can make new sleeves. Where I live a new custom made 2 stroke sleeve would be about $500 fitted in your cylinder.

There are so many second hand cylinders out there from people parting-out bikes that you can usually buy a replacement cylinder that still has some rebores left in it.

• Like 1

Easy enough to fit a new sleeve if you can get one just put the barrel in a domestic oven cook for 1/2 hour as high as it goes and old sleeve will fall out, drop new one in and position while still hot.You will need to then get it bored though as they didnt come finished to size.Done a few a long time ago.

Enquire at all of the Bultaco dealers around. I`m sure the Weavers still have some and I know that Don Newells stock in Brisbane there is still quite a few there. In Motion would still have some as well. Then there is Spain. Still a lot of NOS parts there. Graham.

9 hours ago, Cribbs74 said:

So basically I have a couple useless cylinders...

LA sleeve does offer one for $500, which is ridiculous, can’t see any reason for that high of a pricetag.

I’ll source one then. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Ron

Unobtanium = whatever price the market will stand.

With the prices I have seen other motorcycle engines fetch, 500 to fix an unusable motor does not seem beyond what many would be prepared to pay.

10 hours ago, Cribbs74 said:

So basically I have a couple useless cylinders...

LA sleeve does offer one for $500, which is ridiculous, can’t see any reason for that high of a pricetag.

I’ll source one then. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Ron

Having seen what goes into re-sleeving a two-stroke cylinder and doing some of the process myself, I consider that $500 is good value for that job.

Buy the material

Machine out the old sleeve

Machine the OD and flange of the new sleeve and rough out the bore

Mark out the holes for the ports

Cut the ports

Fit the sleeve (shrink fit)

Finish machining the top and bottom ends of the sleeve.

Finish the ports to size (porting tool)

Bore the cylinder to suit the piston

Chamfer the port edges

In my case it was done to make a big-bore cylinder. It would have been far cheaper for me to buy a second hand standard cylinder but that was not the goal

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, still haven’t heard from Tim, but at least I know that things are still available. If I do happen upon a liner I’ll be installing it myself as it’s really simple to do, apart from getting yelled at by my wife for using the oven for dirty parts.

I realize it’s a bit of work to cut a 2 stroke sleeve and I know the demand is low. I was just under the impression that Bultaco is still popular enough to allow a strong parts supply. 

Some of the problem is I am cheap lol, I am 44 with 3 kids, one in college and have a mortgage and living expenses. My hobbies are a low priority so I have to play it smart. The fuel tank alone for this 151 cost me $450 and all told I have over 1K in this bike that cost me $200 to purchase. I really wanted a Bultaco Sherpa and the $200 to get a project looked appealing , but as usual it costs way more to restore than to buy a completed one. I’ll never learn! The other problem is I don’t like anything new and plentiful. I am always drawn to rare vintage cars and bikes

It’s funny how different motorcycle cliques operate.

Honda guys flooded me in parts when doing a CL77 restore. 

Hodaka crowd was silent and very unhelpful when I was attempting to do a Super Combat. So much so that I abandoned the project and sold the bike.

Yamaha guys were the same as Honda

Kawasaki guys were a tough nut to crack, but I got lucky and hooked into a guy that was very helpful.

Triumph group is also hard to get into, once in though they are a good group.

The jury is still out on Bultaco, but so far you guys have been very helpful and I do appreciate it.

I have posted a want ad on here, so we will see how that goes.

Again, thank you for the help everyone. I’ll start a thread to document the refurb/restore. 

Ron

• Like 1