Whats gone wrong with Trials.

trialsrider46

Getting this off my chest. I do not expect any support in my post. I just wanted to say it and share it.

I am a returning rider after a long lay off. I rode extensively in the North and mostly Cumbria. I managed to get to Intermediate standard which was hard to do. You had to win a Novice trial. Very hard 'upt North'. Once up a level you could not ride at a lower level. ie, No more Novice events or results. I now live in Suffolk and ride twin shock and Pre 70 bikes.  I am 67 years old and ride the white routes. Here is my first gripe, why do those with far greater ability ride white routes? In some trials you ride as Expert and 50/50 but when it suits you ride the white route and score 0 or single figure results. All this does is allow clubs to set harder sections for those of us who are not as skilled as you. Second gripe, I have 2 real compliant pre 70 bikes. We have a club member who bought a BSA Bantam with a V5. He then had a custom frame made, forks, wheels, total rolling chassis.He then took the crank cases and filled them with Yamaha bits. Alloy barrel with special head with a 185cc bore. You all get my drift. It is now entered and accepted as a pre 70 bike. The only thing BSA pre 70 about is the registration and the crank case. Moan over.   I will still continue to enjoy my rides and do my very best. :D

Edited by trialsrider46
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, trialsrider46 said:

Getting this off my chest. I do not expect any support in my post. I just wanted to say it and share it.

I am a returning rider after a long lay off. I rode extensively in the North and mostly Cumbria. I managed to get to Intermediate standard which was hard to do. You had to win a Novice trial. Very hard 'upt North'. Once up a level you could not ride at a lower level. ie, No more Novice events or results. I now live in Suffolk and ride twin shock and Pre 70 bikes.  I am 67 years old and ride the white routes. Here is my first gripe, why do those with far greater ability ride white routes? In some trials you ride as Expert and 50/50 but when it suits you ride the white route and score 0 or single figure results. All this does is allow clubs to set harder sections for those of us who are not as skilled as you. Second gripe, I have 2 real compliant pre 70 bikes. We have a club member who bought a BSA Bantam with a V5. He then had a custom frame made, forks, wheels, total rolling chassis.He then took the crank cases and filled them with Yamaha bits. Alloy barrel with special head with a 185cc bore. You all get my drift. It is now entered and accepted as a pre 70 bike. The only thing BSA pre 70 about is the registration and the crank case. Moan over.   I will still continue to enjoy my rides and do my very best. :D

If he registers the bike even VOSA probably wouldn’t twig and ask for an SVA...but that’s another story. ?

I can conclude from your comments on rider classes and routes that you probably ride ACU Eastern centre trials.

We organise an annual Trials Forum where riders and organisers attend to discuss any issues and decide any changes to the way events are run. This years is November 8th starting at 8pm, at The Parish Room, Great Blakenham, Ipswich Suffolk, any input appreciated if you can attend.

• Like 1

This situation is widespread, but is just the way club trials has evolved as the average age of participants (and organisers) has increased. I'm numb to the crazed development and cost of Pre-65 Bantams etc, each to their own I guess. However I think there is a creeping problem with Experts on the Easy route, and if they are o50 and very much now o60 then you have have sympathy that they don't want to hurt themselves. However complaining that it was a bit easy, or losing the trial due to a slack dab can be very damaging to the sport as clubs do start to wind up the standard on those routes which deters newcomers, and they are probably the most important and sadly rare participant today. Lets face it, for most competitors there is probably a harder route available, for those less able or starting out there might not be an easier one.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, not ron said:

I can conclude from your comments on rider classes and routes that you probably ride ACU Eastern centre trials.

We organise an annual Trials Forum where riders and organisers attend to discuss any issues and decide any changes to the way events are run. This years is November 8th starting at 8pm, at The Parish Room, Great Blakenham, Ipswich Suffolk, any input appreciated if you can attend.

Well having put it that way, how can I refuse. I will attend and really I should,  without input nothing changes. Unfortunately issues of this nature in my experience are not well received. People do not like input that does not suit them. This is one reason things do not change because people like myself do not want upset and aggravation by raising these issues, (not popular) it quite often pays to sit on the fence. Hence my original statement of not expecting feedback just getting it off my chest. In truth ask yourself the question, how could you resolve my comments ? there is only one answer to both comments. 1= bring back grading of riders. 2= I am afraid the pre 65/70 issue will go on for years to come. 

• Like 1

trialsrider 46 you hit the nail on the head  back in the day you had to work through the grading system  NO grading system now so this is the problem with trials, riders ride what ever class they want .with a grading system in place it would get the riders on the right course   (Section getting made harder) It was not that long ago top riders were wanting hard trials they got there wish find they can not ride the sections, so they drop a course or  decide to get a pre 65/ twinshock ride against old men, then moan the sections are to easy  , As for the bikes think your on a looser there, lets be real the bikes pre 65-twinshock most now NEVER existed 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 5again said:

This situation is widespread, but is just the way club trials has evolved as the average age of participants (and organisers) has increased. I'm numb to the crazed development and cost of Pre-65 Bantams etc, each to their own I guess. However I think there is a creeping problem with Experts on the Easy route, and if they are o50 and very much now o60 then you have have sympathy that they don't want to hurt themselves. However complaining that it was a bit easy, or losing the trial due to a slack dab can be very damaging to the sport as clubs do start to wind up the standard on those routes which deters newcomers, and they are probably the most important and sadly rare participant today. Lets face it, for most competitors there is probably a harder route available, for those less able or starting out there might not be an easier one.

5again, I think your comments are in line with my thoughts. Cheers for the reply

1 minute ago, on it said:

trialsrider 46 you hit the nail on the head  back in the day you had to work through the grading system  NO grading system now so this is the problem with trials, riders ride what ever class they want .with a grading system in place it would get the riders on the right course   (Section getting made harder) It was not that long ago top riders were wanting hard trials they got there wish find they can not ride the sections, so they drop a course or  decide to get a pre 65/ twinshock ride against old men, then moan the sections are to easy  , As for the bikes think your on a looser there, lets be real the bikes pre 65-twinshock most now NEVER existed 

Thank you for those comments. Hope you enjoy your rides in Cumbria. Long times since I rode those streams an climbed those rocks. :D

2 hours ago, trialsrider46 said:

You are right :D

trialsrider46, I'm a little younger ( not by much ) and I should ride the intermediate line but I ride the novice line at our TS events. Why? Because I like to meet the other riders, to have a chance at practicing on new ground. I know that kind of pis… of the other riders, but when they look at the result, I always finish last. I mark 5 at every sections before I start the competition. I think you are right, some people go to win and other to compete.

Guy

25 minutes ago, guy53 said:

trialsrider46, I'm a little younger ( not by much ) and I should ride the intermediate line but I ride the novice line at our TS events. Why? Because I like to meet the other riders, to have a chance at practicing on new ground. I know that kind of pis… of the other riders, but when they look at the result, I always finish last. I mark 5 at every sections before I start the competition. I think you are right, some people go to win and other to compete.

Guy

Well Guy that certainly is a different approach. thanks for the input. I most likely think you offer advice and support to the less skilled than yourself. If so keep it up.

51 minutes ago, trialsrider46 said:

Unfortunately issues of this nature in my experience are not well received. People do not like input that does not suit them. This is one reason things do not change because people like myself do not want upset and aggravation by raising these issues, (not popular) it quite often pays to sit on the fence. Hence my original statement of not expecting feedback just getting it off my chest. 

To play devils advocate, many organizers actually think they are right, and there is no one answer. Best way to affect change is to join the club and get out there, lay out appropriate sections and enjoy. 

Regarding modified bikes, none are as they left the factory, just vary from minor modifications to Draton level which bare little or no resemblance. So what level of modification is acceptable ?

• Thanks 1

You have to ask 'What does the ACU ( or any governing body) do for us ?'

These problems, rider classification and bike eligibility, have been going on for a long time and nothing appears to ever get resolved.

Section severity is at the heart of it, you may think you can ride up that snotty climb but you can't and 4 laps of failing it means next trial you will be looking for a more enjoyable ride. That results in riding down a route or getting a compeditive older bike to justify the move.

You will now find modified twinshocks being ridden on the easier route by experianced riders because they are cheaper than hand built 2018/pre 65's

The pre 65 scene in the South East is virtually dead, no (O.K. occasionally) big bikes and the compeditive championship of 10 years ago has gone. 

9 minutes ago, collyolly said:

You have to ask 'What does the ACU ( or any governing body) do for us ?'

These problems, rider classification and bike eligibility, have been going on for a long time and nothing appears to ever get resolved.

Section severity is at the heart of it, you may think you can ride up that snotty climb but you can't and 4 laps of failing it means next trial you will be looking for a more enjoyable ride. That results in riding down a route or getting a compeditive older bike to justify the move.

You will now find modified twinshocks being ridden on the easier route by experianced riders because they are cheaper than hand built 2018/pre 65's

The pre 65 scene in the South East is virtually dead, no (O.K. occasionally) big bikes and the compeditive championship of 10 years ago has gone. 

Good post. Hence the reason many riders are now attending clubs that do actually cater for the less skilled/easier trials. These clubs are more often than not  over subscribed with entries. Both the clubs I refer to Dabbers and Acorn are very rideable and enjoyed by all who attend but they are not ACU.

Maybe somebody should start to listen. :huh:

Edited by trialsrider46
  • Like 1