Montesa 300RR - "new" models for sale

4ourtea

Can someone please tell me how you tell whether a "new 300RR" is a 2017 model or a 2018 model (not year of manufacture as 2018 bikes will be assembled in late 2017, just as all the manufacturers do) - what do you look for on the frame number to distinguish between the years??

I have been looking at some ebay ads for new Montesa 300RRs and there are some pretty dubious sales descriptions out there... for example (no names or finger pointing...):

There are two internet adverts saying "New model Montesa 300RR 2018" and then in the sub-text it one says (under the year of manufacture) that it is 2017 and the other 2018. When you look at accompanying pictures the two bikes have different front mudguards (red or black) and the logo on the frame/silencer guard is different (either three lines or part of the M for Montesa logo).

It appears to me that some people are masquerading 2017 bikes as 2018 bikes... yet still charging full whack at £7,599

All advice gratefully received... (Maybe I should just wait until 2019 ones come out...)

If you look really closely you’ll probably notice a slight difference in the decals or stickers. The ends of the mudguards are shaped differently with the 17 model at 38 degrees and the 18 model at 38.96 degrees....insisted upon by the decal manufacturer so that the sticker edges actually line up.? Also in the advertising blurb the hydraulic disc brake housing ....commonly known as the CALIPER...is spelt calliper (2 L’s there should only be one) so possibly there may be something odd about the brakes, potentially strapped to the front fork or fitted with a measuring device similar to a compass. Anyway the ad men have a lot to answer for. Oh and the 17 model has normal fork oil whereas the 18/19 model has oil that is really special in those forks, apparently it is not affected by heat....there!?

I’d ignore the web site dreamers and wait until 2019 is upon us...not long, only a few more sleeps...who dreamt that crappy saying up? You just wait there will be some heavily discounted bikes that no one can tell wether they are 2017,18 or 19 maybe the date codes on the tyres can help.????️‍♂️