Montesa 349 clutch fluid.

netley

Not a big deal. A common sight on a trials bike that has ridden a wet trial. I would just fill it with fresh oil. Next time you ride in water it will probably do it again. Sometimes wet oil affects the action of the clutch but if you didn't notice, then I guess yours doesn't get affected.

I have driiled 2mm hole in the filler cap and let the engine cool. Started it and within a few second there was oil being pushed out. I put in 300 cc of oil when I changed the oil as per manual. I fear chank seal gone and pressurising the clutch side. Any pearls of wisdom? 

IMG_20181020_130155.jpg

I'm currently re-building a 248 and have made a new stub to fit into the gearbox breather location, to take 1/4" clear tube (can see if its blocked), and then run up into the bottom of the airbox (almost directly above).

Made the same size stub to fit the magneto cover, and will run the clear tubing up and under the tank.

Clutch case breather? Not sure about where this is located.

• Like 1

Had a short chat with the guys at InMotion who reckon it is the crank seals. Pulled everything off with remarkable ease. I love the design of the clutch assembly which came off in one piece. Need to get a puller for the gear on the crank in front of the seal.

I'm hoping my local bike shop MY Motors will have some of the parts on the shelf as Melroy used to ride these things competitvely back in the day.

IMG_20181022_225143.jpg

2 hours ago, netley said:

Had a short chat with the guys at InMotion who reckon it is the crank seals. Pulled everything off with remarkable ease.

I will be interested to see if you still think it is easy to work on after you get the primary gear off

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I will be interested to see if you still think it is easy to work on after you get the primary gear off

Well You will have the last laugh.... 

Any sage advice for this recalcitrant bugger? 

Make or find a puller that doesn't damage the gear teeth. The usual two or three arm puller will likely not be able to pull hard enough and will damage the teeth. A suitable puller will pull against the back side of the gear without touching the teeth and it will pull on the whole surface, to spread the load better. I made a tubular puller that is in two halves. There are discussion threads on this forum that cover this job in detail. I can do photos again if the thread has disappeared.