Montesa 349 clutch fluid.

netley

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had no luck with getting the primary drive gear off. Searched for tools and then rang InMotion Trials and asked if they sold a puller for this. He laughed loud and heartily at this and said to grind the gear off and buy a new one from him.

An old friend who's a right clever bugger, had a look and later rang me to send him dimensions for the shaft and drive gear, etc. He popped over today with something he'd made.

I fitted it, tightened it, gave it a good whack and tightened it again.

Off it popped.

Here is a video of how it works taken when I had put the gear back on for realism purposes.

:) One happy chappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have now replaced the crank seals and the problem persists. After another talk with InMotion I am now going to replace the clutch actuating arm seal and the gear change shaft seal in the clutch case. 

Any tips as to how to remove the old ones? 

Cheers. 

Neil 

As you have made a hole in the oil filler, the shear amount of oil that will be thrown about by the gears etc will soon flood that hole you made. Here’s a pic or two of what’s needed. If you removed the filler plug and ran the engine obviously there would be loads of oil being thrown out, your breather hole just reduces the amount trying to escape. With a  plastic pipe routed up and into the frame or somewhere where water is unlikely to get into the pipe. You might see a small amount of oil but it will just sink back into the clutch case or gearbox as you will see on my bike. Changing the crankshaft oil seals is still a very good idea. The breather might just be a tiny hole drilled into the highest point of the gearbox or clutch casing. Any air trapped in the box when being used will heat up and expand, to some extent so to the oil. This pressure (positive) will need to go somewhere so usually it will escape from the weakest point IF the original breather is clogged up, this escape could be the clutch pivot shaft, gear change shaft seal or out put shaft seal. This is a common problem that affects all types of stuff from bikes to cars to trucks etc. The worst effects are from a blocked engine breather where the gas builds up and saps engine power (4T).

4E2EE46B-CE26-4781-9C06-7E9568C18B65.jpeg

BE5DD254-65A9-45B2-BDF7-D0628C084146.jpeg

Edited by section swept

Yes, i had oil coming out of the hole. I blocked it and it started coming out from the clutch and gear shafts as before. 

When I can get the seals out for the clutch and gear shafts I will change them but I noticed the gear shaft has a lot of movement and the mechanism it is linked to in the clutch case moves. 

I'm presuming this should not be so? 

Oil in any enclosed space being thrown, splashed about by centrifugal force and heat introduced into the equation and oil will try to escape from the smallest of gaps including worn bushings and pivots. 

When you look at properly designed gearboxes etc very often a splash shield, oil slinger or guard is included to prevent excess oil splatter overcoming any seal or shaft bushings.

As a suggestion, have a look at the oil filler plug, does the thread go down deeper than the thread in the casing, if not this could be the reason for the oil trying to come up the filler. It’s not a pressure problem that you have it’s either too much oil and too much splash, you wouldn’t build enough pressure up in a few seconds as you say before the oil came out of the breather hole that is too close to the casing to be effective. The bike was ok before you dumped the oil so lookmsgsin at the quantity of oil you are putting back in?

Edited by section swept
  • Thanks 1

When I first did the crank seals it ran ok until it got warm then the oil started coming out from the filler plug which I had drilled a hole in. I blocked this and then it appeared from the shaft seal which I presume are worn.

I put 300ml of oil in which is as per the manual. 

I'm hoping that when I change the shaft seals this may sort it but I'm now concerned over the play in the gear change shaft. 

I will film this and put it on YouTube and hopefully all your knowledge will point me in a positive direction :)

Sounds as though you have some excessive wear in the casing, as the shaft is harder there might only be negligible wear on that, but check for wear in both case and shaft. The case could be bored out a small amount and a sleeve inserted as an interference fit. Simply Bearings and other suppliers can provide you with a suitable sleeve/bush or you may know someone that can make one for you, although one from a supplier shouldn’t be more than a few pounds. While you are checking the shaft make sure it’s not bent, it only needs to be a tiny bit out to mess up any oil seal. Check the parts manual if you can, I’m not sure if there should be a washer on the inside of the shaft to help prevent the oil deluging the seal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1