TY 80

bondy

The carb is a Mikuni VM18, got it from Viperizer racing.  It came in a Sudco box, though -

http://www.viperizerracing.com/Mikuni-VM18-Carburetor-p/su001.001.htm

The manifolds we had made, all that is (somewhere) in the ADV thread I sent.  There was a carb/manifold kit on Fleabay some years ago with  VM20 carb and a custom manifold, but I haven't seen it in years, and a 20 is a bit big for a 72cc Trials bike. 

• Like 1

We need another run of manifolds since the team has acquired what, something like 5 or 6 more bikes since that first run was made.  I understand that the machinist that made them for us was considering selling and retiring, so I guess we'd better hustle. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

18 hours ago, bondy said:

There's is another mikuni carb vm20 comes with a Adaptor kit to fit the TY 80

I saw a kit like that some years ago on Fleabay.  Boxy-looking manifold and what was advertised as a 20mm Mikuni.  Last I checked, it was still Out of Stock.

If you find one, make sure that the carb is a gennie Mikuni, not a cheap Chinese copy.  Those tend to be of dubious quality, leading to tuning frustrations.  Taiwan Mikuni copies have a pretty good reputation, though.  

We always wondered how the 20mm would work on a TY80.  That's a huge step up from the OE 16mm TK. 

There very well may be a 16mm roundslide carb that will swap on, I never really researched it.  We went with the 18mm Mikuni because we were already doing minor port and head mods at the time.  The engines ran well with stock TKs (if we could find some that didn't have worn slides), but they woke up pretty well with the 18mm Mikunis.  If you do decide to go with the 20mm kit, I would humbly suggest you put it on an engine with a fresh top-end to give it a chance to ingest what a 20mm carb can deliver.  B)

• Like 1