TLR200 running right?

fish06

I've been trying to practice figure of eights on a TLR200 and especially in 2nd gear I find the power delivery very jerky, it's almost like the power is off or on, not at all smooth. It's better in 1st but not what I'd call pleasant, are other TLR's like this or is it the carb ( or just me )? 

If it’s better in first than it is in second it could be the rear wheel sprocket needs to be bigger or maybe a tooth off the gearbox sprocket might help. Get the carburation set up  to eliminate any rough running, small engines...it’s only a 200 so shouldn’t have much effect upon slow riding!

I used to run idle super low (I'm not a lover of clutching through anything but ridiculous corners) and would agree with you.  I now run slightly faster and apply rear brake which might help smooth out the lower snap. Just understand the bike will pull in with the brake applied.

• Like 2

I've ultra sonic-ed the carb and internals, turned the tick over down a touch and have the air screw at 2 turns out (it seems happiest there), I can do figure of 8's with the throttle almost shut and no clutch, but as soon as you touch the throttle you get that snatchiness (not sure that's a real word) which is off putting, I'll try it in a trial this winter and see how I get on with it, much prefer my TY175 though cracking little bike. Thanks for all the replies.

Are you perhaps expecting two stroke smoothness from a four stroke?  They are a bit harsher off the bottom - eased by having what may feel like too high a tickover.

In comparison with a TY 175 it will seem particularly bad as the TY has a very smooth power output, not least due to gearing and low power (compared to a typical 250 for instance).

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

On 10/29/2018 at 9:05 AM, fish06 said:

I've ultra sonic-ed the carb and internals, turned the tick over down a touch and have the air screw at 2 turns out (it seems happiest there), I can do figure of 8's with the throttle almost shut and no clutch, but as soon as you touch the throttle you get that snatchiness (not sure that's a real word) which is off putting, I'll try it in a trial this winter and see how I get on with it, much prefer my TY175 though cracking little bike. Thanks for all the replies.

You need a British four stroke if you want smooth bottom end power. See if you can bag a ride on a decent BSA C15, lovely smooth power.The Honda four strokes always lack flywheel effect to my way of thinking,but can be made VERY nice,a mate has an RS250t which is super smooth.

• Like 1