2019 gearing?

heffergm

Anyone ridden a 2019? Contents in the stock gearing compared to previous years? It looks like they changed the final drive gearing to 10/39, but I'm not sure about any internal gearing changes. 

I typically take my GG's to 10/42 from the standard 11/42, which is nice since front sprockets are cheap and the stock gearing is way too tall for our terrain. 

Academic really, whatever the new model has there will always be a preferred choice from the individual. As you imply your terrain is different to someone else’s. But then if you travel to compete I’d be taking some alternative ratio sprockets etc just to be sure. ?

The typical 11/42 is entirely too tall in general, compared to any other bike. First with the stock gearing is easily equivalent to 2nd on a Beta for example. I could see it maybe working well on a 300 with a flywheel weight, but we don't (regularly) ride stream beds, and we don't ride no stop. With 10/42 first is basically 'normal', which is all I'm really looking for. Some others seem to agree: https://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/27983-gasgas-pro-gearing-250280-and-300/

Edited by heffergm

14 minutes ago, heffergm said:

The typical 11/42 is entirely too tall in general, compared to any other bike. First with the stock gearing is easily equivalent to 2nd on a Beta for example. I could see it maybe working well on a 300 with a flywheel weight, but we don't (regularly) ride stream beds, and we don't ride no stop. With 10/42 first is basically 'normal', which is all I'm really looking for. Some others seem to agree: https://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/27983-gasgas-pro-gearing-250280-and-300/

I hear ya, it is noticeably higher, but i also feel 1st on betas is virtually unusable. I guess it isnt dry enough where i am :lol:. Its horses for courses. I would feel 3rd too compromised if i lowered it any.

Unless they did something to primary drive gears or internal transmission ratios, I'm not sure Gas Gas changing from 11/42 to 10/39 final drive ratios can offer much other than speculation.

FWIW, I jumped ship from '12 GasGas TXT 280 Racing (also preferred 10/42 over 11/42 stock gearing, as heffergm mentioned) to Beta Evo models for last couple years and I'm pretty happy with these Final Gearing Ratios:

'16 Beta Evo 125 Factory (stock gearing 9/43) 10/43 works fine, but would consider 10/44 to eliminate "odd 101-link chain"

'15 Beta Evo 200 stock gearing 11/42 is perfect, but still using 101-link chain

'16 Beta Evo 300 (stock gearing 10/42) 10/44 works amazing and bike is much easier to ride with heavier flywheel. For "bushwhacking" through the woods or exploring for new sections - this bike goes anywhere

All of these bikes are ridden in 1st gear for Novice sections, unless there happens to be a pretty steep uphill; then 2nd gear is used but seldom needed. With the right body position, 1st gear works pretty much everywhere. The bigger displacement bikes seem to be favored for harder Loop Trails to reduce shifting. The smaller displacement bikes work great in sections, but require much more shifting on bigger Loop Trail hills.

I keep final gearing as mentioned on all these bikes, regardless of where I ride.

Edited by wheelieman14
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, heffergm said:

So they've likely just succeeded in making me spend 3x as much to fix the horrible stock gearing ;)

Stock gearing is not horrible at all. i prefer it for all terrains(lived back east riding there for 7 years and living out west for 5 years). i never had an issue idk what the complaint is. maybe you should ride with it more and you will learn to like it. clutch control is the key. most top euros use it as well.  

Edited by briangg

4 minutes ago, heffergm said:

Yeah, I know, everyone on the internet is a better rider than me. 

I'll say it again so the deaf people can hear: the stock gearing sucks for me. I'm not asking about what you think. 

Email GasGas in Spain and ask them if they changed the primary gear or whatever. when they went to a 39 rear.

Remember when the raga reps used to come with a different sized rear with the manual for you to try?

I could be wrong but i think std was 41 and the spare was 42. Or the other way round

Edited by faussy

On 21.10.2018 at 11:25 PM, heffergm said:

Anyone ridden a 2019? Contents in the stock gearing compared to previous years? It looks like they changed the final drive gearing to 10/39, but I'm not sure about any internal gearing changes. 

[...]

According to the manual, they didn't change the gear ratios resp. the primary reduction ratio (2.777).

• Like 1