What oil fuel mixture (and oil brand) do you use on your 2 stroke Gas Gas?

thesaint

I just wanted to check the oil / fuel mixture my fellow members here are using. Also does any found any oil brand that you are more pleased with than other oil brands? 

I have a 2006 Gas Gas TXT 250 Pro, 2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro and i use 2% oil / fuel mixture. 

In the owners manual for the 2006 TXT 250 Pro it says 2% oil mixture

I can not find the  owners manual for the 2005 TXT 125 Pro but i found the 2004 owners manual for the TXT 125 Pro and the 2004 owners manual says 1,5% oil mixture.  

Any here knows if it is 1,5% or 2% for the 2005 TXT 125 Pro?

The oil i am using now is Motul 2T, 710, 2 stroke oil 100% synthetic

I have never used Motul oil before but i guess Motul fully synthetic 2 stroke oil is the same as GRO oil 

I know many Gas Gas owners like to use GRO oil  but is there any here that have a oil brand that you find better than other oil brands?

s-l300.jpg

Edited by thesaint

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

I just wanted to check the oil / fuel mixture my fellow members here are using. Also does any found any oil brand that you are more pleased with than other oil brands? 

I have a 2006 Gas Gas TXT 250 Pro, 2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro and i use 2% oil / fuel mixture. 

In the owners manual for the 2006 TXT 250 Pro it says 2% oil mixture

I can not find the  owners manual for the 2005 TXT 125 Pro but i found the 2004 owners manual for the TXT 125 Pro and the 2004 owners manual says 1,5% oil mixture.  

Any here knows if it is 1,5% or 2% for the 2005 TXT 125 Pro?

The oil i am using now is Motul 2T, 710, 2 stroke oil 100% synthetic

I have never used Motul oil before but i guess Motul fully synthetic 2 stroke oil is the same as GRO oil 

I know many Gas Gas owners like to use GRO oil  but is there any here that have a oil brand that you find better than other oil brands?

s-l300.jpg

A 125 pro will run fine at 100:1 with fully synthetic oil when you are thrashing it to death[ I know I have done it] ....but any amount from 32:1 upto 80:1 will work fine as you would never use a mix of 100:1 as I can tell that  you are a more is better mixer.

There are no differences in the 2004 2005 2006 125 pro cylinder and pistons or main bearings that give a need for a special amount of oil that differs between the years.

The difference in the amount of oil you use  will be seen in  the amount of oilly gunge that collects in the exhaust system.

Edited by oni nou

Went to one of the top Spanish factories in May and was surprised to hear the engine builders say always use mineral oil based oils not full synthetic.  

Motul 510 at 50:1 works great and Motul Transoil in the box, but its a personal choice at the end of the day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jam said:

Went to one of the top Spanish factories in May and was surprised to hear the engine builders say always use mineral oil based oils not full synthetic.  

Motul 510 at 50:1 works great and Motul Transoil in the box, but its a personal choice at the end of the day.

Interesting stuff..... which factory; did you ask them what the reason was for the importance of using mineral based oils over fully synthetics ..............................................................

Edited by oni nou

8 hours ago, oni nou said:

Interesting stuff..... which factory; did you ask them what the reason was for the importance of using mineral based oils over fully synthetics ..............................................................

I suspect ‘skull duggery’ ...by the way he was a damned good rider...until he had the op and became ?‍♀️...Take note that the quickest way to ensure your works bikes and riders are on top is to provide duff info to anyone who’ll take notice.

If thai-ty is reading this I am about to use a paragraph.

Mineral oil will readily wash out of bearings and as you have already weakened the oil by dilution with petrol and other must have ingredients the boundary lubrication is marginal hence two strokes tend to wear more the harder you work them so to speak...stand by for deluge of counter claims...

Fully and Semi-synthetic oils are more clinging and less likely to be washed out of the main bearings. Unfortunately these synthetic oils do not take kindly to being burned and give off nasty chemical fumes that can have equally nasty side affects on us humans who breathe in the stuff. Air passengers have been poisoned by synthetic oil escaping from a damaged seal in the jet engine and somehow these fumes get into he cabin area and people develop flu like symptoms, sore throats etc.

I had the dubious honour of working on some viscous couplings used in four wheel drive systems, the synthetic lubricant could only be fully washed off the plates and out of the housings by using thinners, get the synthetic oil on your hands and it was there for hours or days in one techs experience of the stuff. 

If you want to use mineral oil but modern two stroke manufacturing processes and materials allow the engines to run on marginal piston ring lubrication and it is this area that is the important one, the big end and little end along with the main bearings will  happily run with next to nothing for a short time with no harm. Where as the harsh life the rings go through without the option of rotating around the piston ring land like in a four stroke, wear is and seizure can be a problem.

I suspect that if the engine is going to be stripped down partially or fully after each works ride then the ‘factory’ are going to be fully prepared to slip in new components each time.

When I was racing cars, I know it’s off topic but it is relevant, you would use your own oil of choice. Even when you see sponsored riders, drivers extolling the benefits in using the latest range of S*@& oils it’s more than likely some poor sod has the job of emptying out oil from the sonsors bottles, drums etc and refilling with what the team want to use. Motul have worked hard to produce their product range as have many oil companies, most now are comparable to each other. 

Given the choice I would opt for fully synthetic every time. Remembering that older Villiers etc style engines ran at much ‘overall’ lower engine speeds and mineral oil would have been adequate.

Edited by section swept
  • Like 2

If i have calculated this correct using 80:1 and so on fuel / oil mixture and came to the percents as seen below:

70:1 is in percent: 1.43 percent mixture

32:1 upto 80:1 is in percent: 32:1 is 3.13 % and 80:1 is 1.25% mixture

85 to 1 is in percent: 1.18% mixture

60:1 is in percent: 1.67% mixture

50:1 is in percent: 2.00% mixture

The fuel oil mixture mambers here are using is from 1,18% to 2% mixture

Is not 85:1 or 1,18 % to lean oil fuel mixture?

Also is not 32:1 or 3,13% is to rich oil fuel mixture?

On a 2 stroke engine i have always thought that it is better to run a to rich fuel / oil mixture than a to lean mixture

Thinking a to rich mixture can cause your bike to smoke a lot but a to lean mixture can ruin your engine?

What do you think? 

80:1 is very common in trials bikes, especially in ones that lubricate the main bearings with gear oil and not premix (i.e. GG, etc). TRS specs 100:1 in the manual. Vertigo is something like 120:1 per the manual.

Just about everyone around here mixes 80:1 in anything else. I've got hundreds of hours on various GG's at 80:1. 

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

On a 2 stroke engine i have always thought that it is better to run a to rich fuel / oil mixture than a to lean mixture

Thinking a to rich mixture can cause your bike to smoke a lot but a to lean mixture can ruin your engine?

It is yes, a little too much oil and it may run a big smokey but will be kinder to your engine. Too little and it could cost you lots of bucks! Ive ridden bikes at leaner mixes and never noticed them to feel 'cleaner'. If your bike is 2006 id want to err on the side of a little too much. It will help with compression too

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

If i have calculated this correct using 80:1 and so on fuel / oil mixture and came to the percents as seen below:

70:1 is in percent: 1.43 percent mixture

32:1 upto 80:1 is in percent: 32:1 is 3.13 % and 80:1 is 1.25% mixture

85 to 1 is in percent: 1.18% mixture

60:1 is in percent: 1.67% mixture

50:1 is in percent: 2.00% mixture

The fuel oil mixture mambers here are using is from 1,18% to 2% mixture

Is not 85:1 or 1,18 % to lean oil fuel mixture?

Also is not 32:1 or 3,13% is to rich oil fuel mixture?

What do you think? 

Too much oil reduces the octane rating of the petrol, whereas running on a tiny amount of oil is not necessarily a bad thing as the octane rating of the petrol has only been reduced by a very small margin. This allows the engine to run more cleanly and also reduces oiling up inside the exhaust system. So a reduction in octane rating reduces engine power output right across the rev range. That’s what I think and know from experience. Even a four stroke with knackered valve stem oil seals will allow oil to be drawn into the combustion process, reducing octane rating in the petrol and potentially causing detonation (‘pinking’ to the layman) which is detrimental if allowed to go unchecked eg holed piston.

17 hours ago, oni nou said:

The guys were ex GG now _ _ _ and he said its better for the engine plus it lubricates