What oil fuel mixture (and oil brand) do you use on your 2 stroke Gas Gas?

thesaint

Watch carefully factory recomendations (about ratios) since sometimes they care more for emissions (modern) or cold seizure (old) than engine life or cost.

Their brand recomendation is another joke.

It's a good practice stay on rich side (2%) because we never know when we will find a big uphill mountain road. (And more oil give better ring seal and more HP)

Edited by cascao

8 hours ago, richt said:

Too much oil increases the burn temp. Since I changed to 70:1 It's  never fouled the plug. 

My first Bultaco ran at 25:1, and never fouled plugs. Someone care to explain that  ?

• Like 1

I suppose the old Bulto would run a lot hotter than these modern girds. Moving on synthetic just seems to clog up the silencers of modern 2Ts. My wee boys Beta has an inbuilt chain oiler as the  silencer drips oil on the chain.

What I don't get is as a gardener my Hedgecutter ,Strimmer, Chainsaw  work miles harder than any Trials bike with no problems and no real fuss over what ratio or oil type is run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, breagh said:

What I don't get is as a gardener my Hedgecutter ,Strimmer, Chainsaw  work miles harder than any Trials bike with no problems and no real fuss over what ratio or oil type is run.

and no smoke !

i have run gas gas pro's since 2004 , 125 cc 250cc and 300cc for me and my son's i use 710 motul on a recommenation from a gas gas factory mechanic in uk. we always use 70ml oil to 5 litres liters of fuel with no problems . this is ok for trials as you spend very little time at full throttle . it also gives clean running with just a little smoke . hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

All the guys I ride with run 100:1 (usually Motul 800 full synth) in modern liquid cooled bikes and have been for the past 15 years or so.  And most of our bikes are between 5 and 10 years old now with no oil related problems.  On the odd occasion we've pulled an engine down, there is tons of oil on the piston/crank etc.  Feel free to run richer mixtures for peace of mind but I am yet to see any evidence that 100:1 has caused any premature wear or issue.  And replacing or repacking clogged mufflers is a hassle I'd rather put off as long as possible.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...