Carburetor

Dirtygerty

Hey I have a 2002 315 r I just bought and trying to work out some bugs and my question is when I first crank it with choke on it revs extremely high till I can manage to get the choke off then seems to do ok and is the stock jetting what I need or can I get better performance with different jetting

You’ve just obtained the bike, get to know it first before you start changing things. If it has not been messed about with by the previous owners and it runs cleanly without hesitation or stuttering then the jettings going to be ok. Ensure the air filter is clean etc and all oils are good and at correct levels, chain and sprockets are serviceable and suspensions all ok, head bearings not sloppy and brakes work....then ride and get used to your new to you bike?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dirtygerty said:

Hey I have a 2002 315 r I just bought and trying to work out some bugs and my question is when I first crank it with choke on it revs extremely high till I can manage to get the choke off then seems to do ok and is the stock jetting what I need or can I get better performance with different jetting

When you put the choke on this puts more fuel into the motor  to encourage the thing to run and as it is getting more fuel than it normally would and the air going into the motor is cold the revs pick up .....this as copemech said is totally normal[happens to the majority of carby bikes and you can control this speed of revs by closing the choke slightly.

You seem eager to go racing you will probably need all sorts of aftermarket parts along with some high rise MX bars and full waffle grips etc,you can find these racing parts at www.handdracing.co.uk ...and also at www.jbanyeres.com .....both have parts such as straight through mufflers and a flat slide KEIHIN PWK 28 carburettor  to boost power etc ...everything a racer could want for that bike ,Good luck

Edited by oni nou

I never tire of the banter between you two.  :rolleyes:

As mentioned above, high revs on full "choke" is not an uncommon occurrence on 315Rs.  I control it by manually moving the enrichener ("choke") lever manually, keeping the revs up (but not to the moon) until the engine will idle without it.  It usually doesn't take very long.

Congrats on your purchase!  Got any pics? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oni nou said:

This could be someone trying to discredit me so best to ignore @Dirtygerty

If you ignore it you will miss out on two excellent places to buy parts for your bike.

Banyeres is not an excellent place to buy parts hes a rip off merchant.

I know one of the owners of h and d, @marky boy, and at your stage i doubt you need anything bling just yet, but their service and knowledge is second to none, i would reccomend them always.

As an owner of 5 315,s I feel the information from oni will be at best a guess at worse  "advice" wrapped up as sarcasm or vice versa, so be careful to heed anything he says as above.

You may well have to play with jetting as the fuel where you are can be tricky from the guys ive spoken to over there but the dellorto is a very forgiving carb, so I would just clean and service (dont forget banjofilter) and try it by just adjusting tickover and mixture screw at first. Always start with a new plug too.

Good luck they're great bikes!

Edited by nigel dabster

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Banyeres is not an excellent place to buy parts hes a rip off merchant.

I know one of the owners of h and d, @marky boy, and at your stage i doubt you need anything bling just yet, but their service and knowledge is second to none, i would reccomend them always.

As an owner of 5 315,s I feel the information from oni will be at best a guess at worse  "advice" wrapped up as sarcasm or vice versa, so be careful to heed anything he says as above.

You may well have to play with jetting as the fuel where you are can be tricky from the guys ive spoken to over there but the dellorto is a very forgiving carb, so I would just clean and service (dont forget banjofilter) and try it by just adjusting tickover and mixture screw at first. Always start with a new plug too.

Good luck they're great bikes!

5 of them and he didn't know they have a 6 bolt sprocket carrier that is particular to the Montesa [ok purists and the Fantic Section].......I had to correct him on it ........."A Scorpa is just a Sherco with orange I saw a few close up"......I had to correct him on that to ...I feel nigels  information will at best be incorrect and at best incorrect wrapped up as correct.....Remember if some one makes glaring mistakes about something that they have 5 of you can be sure their advice would  be best avoided.

Grown men acting like 5 year olds ......come on nigel its Facebook for us ....

Edited by oni nou

I do know that they have a six bolt carrier, and also that some late 04's have 4, and 4rt rear wheels drop straight in, so not sure what you mean, and even what the purpose of trying to point score, but again you are happy to go off topic and not help the person asking for help and advice.