Montesa Cota 349 1980

Sparky1001

Hello all,

I have found my dads Montesa Cota 349 1980 in his garage. The bike itself appears in (relatively) good condition. I don’t think it has been ridden (or started) for 20+ years. 

I would like to get this bike running again & start riding it at local events. 

I have pretty much zero technical knowledge, I am willing to learn & give it a go and watch YouTube videos to learn etc..

The reason I haven’t tried to start the bike is I am worried about the petrol and oil in the tank? 

What would I need to change or replace on a bike that old/hasn’t been ridden for 20+ years - things that would need to be changed regardless is what I am on about?

I guess there are things that might be broke which I will need replacing (when found can replace)

Would someone be able to list things I should be changing as a matter of urgency before attempting to kick her over?

I don’t know if the engine would be seized, engine oil is rotted - i want to give it the best chance of starting up.

Thank you :)

Your biggest problem may be gumming up of the carb if it was left with any petrol in the float bowl. Crank seals may have gone hard but should start nonetheless.  I'd check for oil in the primary drive and gearbox then, using fresh premix in the tank, and after checking that the motor turns over with the plug out, see if it starts.  Check the throttle closes fully before doing so.

If it runs you can go from there with a general clean out, timing check, new oils, air filter etc and tighten all the nuts and bolts.There must be videos on checking over a two stroke motor, assessing chain wear and so on.   No doubt others will be on soon with further advice.

3 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Your biggest problem may be gumming up of the carb if it was left with any petrol in the float bowl. Crank seals may have gone hard but should start nonetheless.  I'd check for oil in the primary drive and gearbox then, using fresh premix in the tank, and after checking that the motor turns over with the plug out, see if it starts.  Check the throttle closes fully before doing so.

If it runs you can go from there with a general clean out, timing check, new oils, air filter etc and tighten all the nuts and bolts.There must be videos on checking over a two stroke motor, assessing chain wear and so on.   No doubt others will be on soon with further advice.

Thank you for the help, I’m going to trailer it home on the weekend & start to look at it. And start with the above points.

if anyone else has any further advice please comment as every bit of knowledge and help would be greatly appreciated. 

It would be lovely to see it in working order again!

Before you start taking your Dads bike apart, photograph it from all angles and make a photo record of all aspects of the bike. Take close ups of such things like brake linkages and cable routes, wheel spacer positions etc. You are more than likely going to end up striping the whole bike down especially as it has stood for long. I wouldn’t make getting the engine running a priority as previously suggested there will be all sorts of bad fuel issues and oil in the transmission, there’s the potential for internal rust on exposed gears and hardened seals not just in the engine but the front forks and rear dampers.

Sparky do you have the history of this bike and was your Dad a regular competitor. I suspect that there could well be a cache of spares lurking in your fathers garage. 

The bike will run but that’s not the important part, you need to develop your skills so that you can do your fathers bike proud. You have said that you are prepared to watch and learn which is brilliant and the right way to go. I believe that the 349 was a bit more zappy than the 348 which was a bit milder in the urge department. 

Maybe you could buy an old moped and practice your mechanical skills on that before going at the Montesa. 

This is how I approach a Trials bike strip and rebuild. You need either a shelving unit of at least four+ shelves, or a large storage box set. I use the shelves to store the front end, frame, swinging arm fuel tank and shelter if it has one all arranged in order, the wheels and brakes I keep on the floor against a wall. The engine unit lives on a shelf until I am ready got it. The more items you remove the more storage space you need so allow for this if you can. 

When you watch some of the videos you mention have a look at the backgrounds and see how some people use their workshop space, some are ingenious, others are untidy but that doesn’t mean the work is bad. Britannia Motorcycles is a very good place to start in terms of watching and learning.

I hope you enjoy working on your fathers bike and can appreciate the sentiment, the end result is going to be for both of you!

If you're a new rider I would honestly recommend temporarily getting a cheap small capacity trials bike to get used to riding, the 349 is like a pit pony - it'll pull any weight, but try and get too friendly too fast and it'll bite you.  Mine has a slow throttle tube on it, and the timing is set to make it calm, and it's still a handful.

That said, they're fab bikes.

As others have said, start with draining the petrol, cleaning the carb, and seeing if it starts up.  Then work through all the consumable items ... the 349 is easy to work on, even I managed to strip mine down and put it back together (though I paid someone else to rebuild the engine internals, since mine had worn main bearings and I didn't want to screw it up).

Hello all 

Firstly thank you for all the in-depth replies, I appreciate them. I am based in the south west, my dad used to ride with Steve Saunders et al back in the day. 

So the bike is in better condition than I thought, seeing it has been sat for 15/20 years (estimate) believe it or not there is pretty much a full tank of petrol in there.

Basic points to note: 

The bike moves freely on its own, no seized front or back wheel  

the front and back brakes seem to work quite well, a little bit spongey but when I’m applying front brake and really trying to push the bike forward it won’t move, so that’s good.

Pulled he clutch in and selected 1st and second and seems Togo into gear ok, regular half click from 1st to 2nd for neutral - no problems there.

Clutch moves in and out ok, with selecting gears (as above).

Throttle goes back and forth on its on, however it is quite “sticky”. 

I have found a black cable/tube coming out of the (engine?) on the ride hand side below the kick starter, picture attatched - does anyone know what this is for and where it should be connected to?

Tyres are understandably a bit flat, but the actual tyres itself seem in good shape, little to no tyres cracks etc. 

So overall I’m really happy with the condition it is in, my next step is to drain the petrol and drain the engine oil? There seems to be a plug underneath the bash plate that would come off and drain it out?

Then pump the tyres up give it a wash and a general clean & tighten/ oil the moving parts. 

C8C4D1FC-E023-415A-87E7-AEE5F2FFB859.jpeg

FEA19142-CB65-4E90-AD26-A0A971B5F8D0.jpeg

72F0644A-780D-403A-97DD-884F79638D14.jpeg

It looks fabulous compared to mine. 

Pipe from front of bike is a breather. 

Does it have a decompression lever? It is like another, smaller, clutch lever on the bar with the clutch. It pulls a cable next to the spark plug. 

4 minutes ago, netley said:

Breather pipe just hangs down into bash plate I think. Gear oil should drain through hole on bash plate and you should change transmission fluid as well. I will attach basic manual for you shortly. 

Thank you Netley, yes there is a smaller lever beneath the clutch is that a choke?

I think I also tried pulling that in & the kickstart still was able to be pushed down with my hand. 

a good wash and clean and then I want to empty the petrol tank and the engine oil and change the transmission oil. 

Any manuals would be awesome as I have really limited knowledge but would love to get the bike going again!

to my surprise I also found a Montesa cota 248 in another garage its a white colour bike unsure of the year, but it is literally immaculate, so I’ll work on the 349 and then look at the 248 once I’ve got this one sorted :)

thanks for all help & guidance it is truly appreciated!