Hi looking for a little help setting gas gas chain

Trials madness

Hi people new to the trials world had a bike a few mnths now been on a two times since owned.only short rides.

What I've noticed is when pushing the bike or no weight on the bike the chain rattles on the frame underneith the front sprocket. Is this normal?

Setting the chain I have the bike raised off the floor swing arm at lowest.both nuts on rear wheel undone.turn the adjusters so marks are same both side and have the tensioner about a thumbs space away from swing arm.lower the bike down push it and the chain rattles 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Touching the frame means its way too loose or also too tight, yet judging by the chain tensioner it seems correct :lol: 

This could be ok, as it sounds like you are missing a piece of rubber on the frame which it runs on

Edited by faussy

Lol obviously but when bike leaves the ground and wheels turns chain makes horrible noise.

Been looking to see if the frame should have a chain guide on it so far not looking like should. The later ones have I seen on Google images just struggling to find a picture of a bike my year around the sprocket.

like now on stand turn back wheel chain rattles on frame realy loud this could be normal an I'm being paranoid. I would of thought the tensioner should keep it lifted off frame.as mentioned completely new to me.

21 minutes ago, richt said:

Your tensioner looks ok but you are missing the rubber pad that the chain slides over the frame. The part No is BT280212026

Dnt think the 04 pro as the rubber bit ya mention mate as it's not listed in the parts manual and Google says that's 2013 onwards mine is 2004.

2 hours ago, Trials madness said:

My tensioner is set this far off swing arm.

DSC_0018.JPG

Chain is rubbing against the tensioner arm, this needs to be corrected. When you push the bike the chain is not under any tension apart from the tensioner arm if the chain has been set properly in the first place. When the bike is being driven by the engine the chain will be pulled tight along the top run and clear the frame, except when the suspension is being compressed or on rebound, then the chain will hit parts of the frame ie the swing arm...hence the protectors....it’s not a precise science. 

7 minutes ago, section swept said:

Chain is rubbing against the tensioner arm, this needs to be corrected. When you push the bike the chain is not under any tension apart from the tensioner arm if the chain has been set properly in the first place. When the bike is being driven by the engine the chain will be pulled tight along the top run and clear the frame, except when the suspension is being compressed or on rebound, then the chain will hit parts of the frame ie the swing arm...hence the protectors....it’s not a precise science. 

Chain was rubbing on tensioner when purchased the bike as had slight bend. since as been.straightened.

The 04 parts manual doesn't list any frame rubber chain guide they seem to be 2013 models that have the rubber guide hence protectors

Edited by Trials madness