Forma Boulder boots, looking after?

fish06

Borrow the wife's horse tack cleaning kit.....  Belvoir spray cleaner, spray conditioner, and rub in a coat of their Leather Balsam. I usually wipe off the wet mud after riding and when I get to cleaning them, I take a stiff brush to get any dry mud off first.

I jet wash mine if they're clagged with mud, and then use lots of dubbin over everything but the suede bit.  Doing this regularly has made them soften up nicely, as they were a bit too stiff when new.

I also got some tough leather off ebay and glued it on in areas that get a lot of wear (namely the top of the left boot from shifting up, and the inside of the right ankle where I catch it on the footpeg sometimes when starting)

Get some Sealskinz socks chief. Ex Army or otherwise on T'interweb . They'll keep your feet dry for the most part. You can waterproof boots until you are blue in the face, but they will still let water in. Powerwash with bike & let air dry. Occasional visit to the cobblers for running repairs is all you need. There's a top cobbler in Northallerton, North Yorks who's rather good with trials boots. Bit of a challenge if you don't live in Gods County, (AKA  The true Trials Central.)  :D     

• Like 2

Bottom line is: if ye boots are made of leather they will need treating! If not the leather will crack & split! They need to be clean & dry when treated. No use applying treatment to mud!

I got a pair from Alt Berg at Richmond with their Sympatex membrane (on par with Gore Tex from experience) in 2000, they failed in 2016 when the sole came off, resoled by Alt Berg for 55 quid. I am now back to riding, standing in becks etc with perfectly dry feet.

They do made to measure which is probably cheaper than some of the supposedly big names!

I use their leather grease regularly, it's good & it works. 

How many people have waterproof 18 year old boots?

Only downside to boots with a waterproof membrane is when ye do fill 'em with water they take ages to dry out.

Dick.