Miller Bultaco or Whitlock?

beamish owners club

My best friend died in May (he was on here as Monoped) and has left behind his private collection of bikes that I am now looking after them on behalf of his daughter.  He had what he always called his 'Miller Bultaco 350' which has a chrome frame with the number 715.  A recent visitor to my place called into question that it is a Miller frame as there is no rear loop.  On closer inspection, the brazing does look remarkably like that of Mick Whitlock and the footpeg mounts are identical to the Whitehawk.  I don't want to misrepresent this bike when I come to sell it or under sell it if it is a more desirable/rarer model than the Miller.

Can anyone shed any light on this aftermarket frame?

P1040300.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, beamish owners club said:

My best friend died in May (he was on here as Monoped) and has left behind his private collection of bikes that I am now looking after them on behalf of his daughter.  He had what he always called his 'Miller Bultaco 350' which has a chrome frame with the number 715.  A recent visitor to my place called into question that it is a Miller frame as there is no rear loop.  On closer inspection, the brazing does look remarkably like that of Mick Whitlock and the footpeg mounts are identical to the Whitehawk.  I don't want to misrepresent this bike when I come to sell it or under sell it if it is a more desirable/rarer model than the Miller.

Can anyone shed any light on this aftermarket frame?

P1040300.JPG

Could the frame be a Macdonald 

16 hours ago, shakennstirred said:

doesnt look like a hi-boy frame

Aren't you comparing apples with oranges ?

Looks very much like one to me.....albeit modified around the rear loop.

Miller High-Boy Mk. IV  frame.jpg

November 1978 price :- £120.00 + VAT (at 8% !!)  p.&p. £2.00 - Makes you think, doesn't it ?

Hope this helps.

Edited by lorenzo
Further info.

In Don Morleys Book Spanish Trials bike on page 40 is a picture of a high-Boy frame similar to the MK IV shown above but has no lugs for the 198/199 style side panels, No swinging arm in tube chain oiler feature. The rear loop is cut away and the pivoting foot peg design is different and looks moved rearward In fact the rear loop cut away and foot peg design matches that in the bike photo from poster beamish owners club at the top of this thread.

I suspect that the frame in the book is later than the mk IV shown above because the removal of the rear loop was quite a late mod or fad and the foot peg position move rearward again was a later typical mod. The lack of side panel lugs has thrown my thinking  but could be to suit the last air box design. This is my oppinion and not based on any known facts.

To the original poster your bike in my oppinion based on the picture in the Don Morley book is a late Miller High-Boy frame. Who actualy made it I can not answer.

Stuart

• Like 2

Miller frame above  was the most recent  pic. I could find (1978) in any of his catalogue material in my possession.

Just looked at my copy of "Spanish Trials Bikes"  for the first time in years and yes,  I agree with your opinion entirely.

Mystery solved,  and well done Stuart, I'd say.