OSET 24.0 - What is the battery lifespan and cost?

woesten

I'm looking at these bikes used and haven't been able to find many answers about this.  I see used bikes listed at around $3,500.  From what little info I could find, the battery packs cost $800-1,200 and wear out in a few years.  If that is true, that price isnt really a discount if the bike is a couple years old.  Is that info accurate?  Also is the battery pack easily swappable?  Seems like that would be a nice way to keep riding vs putting it up for the day.  Thanks.

The batteries should last about 1000 charges. It is easy to change, held in with Velcro. Threaded connector. I changed mine during an event. Just riding around slow and riding sections, the battery will last an afternoon. Full throttle riding drains it faster.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A friend bought one last year used for $3000 and the previous owner bought it new, rode it a few times, didn't like it and sold it. My friend only rode it for about 6 months before his knee injury and now he says the battery is toast and needs to be replaced. I think it needs a new battery every 1-2 years with regular riding. At that rate, it is more expensive to own than a gas bike.

Without knowing at ll how the battery was treated since new .... anything is just a speculation. People who refuse to learn how to treat the batteries, are the ones who always run into problems. The battery will not get out of its comfort zone on its own ... if someone needs to replace it prematurely, it's most likely by their own fault.

Here's a quote from Ian Smith, Oset founder:

Financially, lithium batteries are by far the biggest single component cost in the bikes. Ian describes it as: “It’s like buying a bike with years’ worth of free fuel.”

Does this mean you need a new battery after a year if you want it to perform the same in December as it did in January? If the battery is good for 1000 charges it would be like buying a bike with 2.7 years of free fuel if you charge it every day. But of course electricity is not free. I suspect Oliver Smith gets a new battery at least every year for top performance.

https://electricmotorcycles.news/oset-24-0-racing-2017/

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, sectionone said:

Here's a quote from Ian Smith, Oset founder:

Financially, lithium batteries are by far the biggest single component cost in the bikes. Ian describes it as: “It’s like buying a bike with years’ worth of free fuel.”

Does this mean you need a new battery after a year if you want it to perform the same in December as it did in January? If the battery is good for 1000 charges it would be like buying a bike with 2.7 years of free fuel if you charge it every day. But of course electricity is not free. I suspect Oliver Smith gets a new battery at least every year for top performance.

https://electricmotorcycles.news/oset-24-0-racing-2017/

I've been running the Oset 24r for 2 years now with a mix of standard battery and a custom built one, I swap between the 2 and both my batteries still charge to the exact voltage they did when new and provide the same power etc as when new. I will say though, the standard Oset battery is pretty poor. It last ok, but after 10-15 min of use, there is a noticeable drop in available power and I will see it drop to 2 lights on the handlebar on full throttle. My boost battery runs for 4+ hours with no noticeable difference in power. It actually did a full 3 lap trial and then climbed a 1600 foot hill. (At a sensible gradient).

• 2 months later...