Gear shifter not returning down.

jonovrb

Hi guys, I have a problem with my beta 300 4t 2011 and just wondered if anyone had experienced something like this before. When I flick up a gear the gear shifter doesn't return back to its position. I can give it a gentle tap with my foot and it goes back down and then I can flick it up again to move up another gear but each time I have to manually tap it back down. Moving down gears is fine,  it functions as it should.  I don't know if there is some kind of spring inside which could have broken. I think I would have no problem taking a gearbox to pieces to inspect but I seriously doubt I could put it back together again!  Haha.  

Anyone have an idea what the problem is and how complicated it would be to fix,  before I attempt an inspection. 

Cheers for any help. 

Oh and also one more thing,  after buying the bike I noticed that the clutch slips a bit in 4th and 5th.  Any idea what that could be? 

Thanks

The shift shaft broke it`s weld. You have to remove the right side cover and clutch. You either need a new shift shaft or find a good welder.

Actually re-reading your post, the shaft could be just bent. But it still means a new shift shaft. As far as the slipping goes you will need new friction plates.

Edited by lineaway

The Clutch slipping in 4th and 5th.

There should be 6 springs in the clutch.  People often remove 2 of them to make the clutch pull lighter.  This will sometimes make the clutch slip in 4th and 5th under load.  Mine does sometimes.  Either live with it or replace the 2 springs.

11 hours ago, jonovrb said:

Hi guys, I have a problem with my beta 300 4t 2011 and just wondered if anyone had experienced something like this before. When I flick up a gear the gear shifter doesn't return back to its position. I can give it a gentle tap with my foot and it goes back down and then I can flick it up again to move up another gear but each time I have to manually tap it back down. Moving down gears is fine,  it functions as it should.  I don't know if there is some kind of spring inside which could have broken. I think I would have no problem taking a gearbox to pieces to inspect but I seriously doubt I could put it back together again!  Haha.  

Anyone have an idea what the problem is and how complicated it would be to fix,  before I attempt an inspection. 

Cheers for any help. 

Oh and also one more thing,  after buying the bike I noticed that the clutch slips a bit in 4th and 5th.  Any idea what that could be? 

Thanks

I would think it’s the gearchange spring , it’s like a clothes peg spring and one of the legs has broken .

its relatively easy to fix ,no Gearbox to take apart and not expensive , you will need and a clutch cover gasket and “ possibly” have to remove the clutch basket .

more importantly , if it is the spring and it has lost a tang you need to find it . 

I agree it is possible that the clutch slip could be due removal of two springs to make it lighter , this will be obvious when you check the return spring .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jonovrb said:

Cheers for any help. 

Thanks

I had the same problem with mine. 

Was worried it was going to be an expensive fix but turned out to be a really minor issue....

the gear change wasn’t tight enough on the shaft and had slid inboard enough to be catching on the engine casing. 

Making a bigger slot in the lever and making sure it was tight enough not to slide solved the problem.