Sherpa 199 steering stops

tacomann

Hi folks I've just joined the forum because I've started restoring a 199 Sherpa.  The current steering stops are a couple of old bolts welded onto the frame.  I'd like to replace these - could someone tell me if the stops are meant to meet against the fork stanchions or the bottom yolk and is it possible for someone to measure the length of the stops on their bike?  I suppose I just need to keep some clearance between the petrol tank and the forks on full lock.  

53 minutes ago, tacomann said:

Hi folks I've just joined the forum because I've started restoring a 199 Sherpa.  The current steering stops are a couple of old bolts welded onto the frame.  I'd like to replace these - could someone tell me if the stops are meant to meet against the fork stanchions or the bottom yolk and is it possible for someone to measure the length of the stops on their bike?  I suppose I just need to keep some clearance between the petrol tank and the forks on full lock.  

That’s exactly it, the bolts have probably been welded onto the site of the original lock stops. Some owners remove the lock stops to give increased steering but also have to address tank fouling. The correct lock stops should have nylon caps fitted, these are an interference fit. Order up some replacements £2-3.00 approx and size the lock stop bar accordingly. 

When I bought my brand new M198 cut a bit off thesse stops to get a bit more lock was the very first mod I did, cut back so that the yokes on full lock was just clear of the tank.

They are not old bolts welded on but a length of round rod as section swept has confirmed nylon end caps. I have bever bought these having simply made my own again sized to give as much lock as possible.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock
  • Like 1