Bike theft and registering frame/engine numbers at trials events

stpauls

DO YOU KNOW THE FRAME AND ENGINE NUMBER OF YOUR BIKE?  I don't and never have known the numbers on any of my non road registered bikes.

I was talking to a chap that had two motocross bikes stolen from his well guarded garage recently.  I asked him about frame and engine numbers, but he had no idea.  Therefore there was no way for any third party to EASILY identify them.  

This got me thinking.  If it was a requirement for (modern) bikes to enter their frame and engine numbers on the entry form at ALL trials events and this was then checked (perhaps on a random basis) by the Scrutiniser, then this might help identify stolen bikes and deter bike theft.

Trials Central could hold all stolen bike serial numbers on an Administrator controlled register/database, which was Read Only, but could be accessed by any member of the forum.

Apparently there is a school of thought that some bikes are dismantled and then exported to certain northern European countries that have a very active off-road scene, where they are then re-assembled.  This could also help any law enforcement agencies.

Edited by stpauls

Already available FREE since 2010 via the DVLA. Vin & engine number will go on the DVLA system so if recovered it can be traced.........  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/527473/inf85-protect-your-off-road-vehicle.pdf

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stpauls said:

DO YOU KNOW THE FRAME AND ENGINE NUMBER OF YOUR BIKE?  I don't and never have known the numbers on any of my non road registered bikes.

I was talking to a chap that had two motocross bikes stolen from his well guarded garage recently.  I asked him about frame and engine numbers, but he had no idea.  Therefore there was no way for any third party to EASILY identify them.  

This got me thinking.  If it was a requirement for (modern) bikes to enter their frame and engine numbers on the entry form at ALL trials events and this was then checked (perhaps on a random basis) by the Scrutiniser, then this might help identify stolen bikes and deter bike theft.

Trials Central could hold all stolen bike serial numbers on an Administrator controlled register/database, which was Read Only, but could be accessed by any member of the forum.

Apparently there is a school of thought that some bikes are dismantled and then exported to certain northern European countries that have a very active off-road scene, where they are then re-assembled.  This could also help any law enforcement agencies.

Why just ‘modern’ bikes, some of the ‘old’ bikes are worth far more? If owners can’t be bothered to record (write down) or ?photograph the bike and it’s identification features then your idea falls at the first hurdle. Full marks for suggesting the idea though?. Maybe members on this site, who are quite happy to list their bikes in their avatar, might like to think about who else is checking what they have to steal. I’m removing my list asap?

53 minutes ago, stpauls said:

"Frame and engine numbers on entry forms for trials competitions has been standard practice in Australia for as long as I can remember".

British trials meetings could do this too. 

Please read the whole sentence. "Australians write the numbers down, but do nothing with them " 

What does this achieve ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

any system requires the complience of everyone, an administrator and most club trials are so informal how would the starter or anyone be bothered to check have the time be willing to etc etc

A system is in place but unused by the majority.

Great idea, i suggest you try and get it up and running then see that apathy rules?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

for what purpose?

no idea. It's a pain to do it too. I can only remember the number from one of my twinshocks. The rest I have to go looking with a torch. Maybe I should make a list. A friend of mine who also rides multiple bikes confessed last weekend that he just makes up the numbers each time "because no-one ever checks them anyway"

• Haha 2

Easy peasy…

Get them insured and then you know, trials bikes can get road legal then a standard Vehicle insurance and you are save, stolen registered vehicles especially motorcycles are of much more interest to the Police then leisure vehicles. If you insure several bikes you get a discount too, thus I have to pay around 20 - 40 € for one bike in insurance, the tax for each bike is higher...

A standard insurance for non road registered bikes like MX, trials is around 180€ a year for one, if you get a discount for several I don't know.

Oldtimers (over 30 years old) can also be insured without road registration which is also 180€ a year (The bike was made: 1980, has 22HP, worth is evaluated with 7.500 € of replacement value in a total loss).

• Like 1