Replacing broken spokes. Difficult to thread the spokes thru the hub.

thesaint

Yep I replaced a couple of front spokes recently.  I had to remove a spoke or two to allow access.  Luckily I bought a couple of spares as the threads were seized on some spokes and I broke another one while removing it.

Really I need to remove all of them, clean and lube the threads and replace the ones I break in the process...

I have already used anti seize on all of the spoke nuts so the anti seize have been on there for weeks

I spoke to a person at the Gas Gas bikes and parts stor and he told me just to loosen the spokes close to the spokes i am going to replace

But i see here that i might have to take off some of the spokes.

Thanks a lot for helping me out here :-) 

You can be quite forceful when replacing just the odd spoke or two, when they are new their quite strong and will take a bit of flexing before they bend...which is what you don’t want. I changed four without loosening or removing and that was with a much earlier hub where the spokes entered from both inside and outside the hub flange. A little oil where the spoke contacts the hub works wonders. As your hub presents spokes that block the entry of a replacement in the adjoining hole in the hub you will need to remove or at least have the blocking spoke very loose. Just be careful on tightening up the new and old spokes, use thin oil on the threads to help and tap tune tighten so that all spokes ring the same?

Edited by section swept