Keihin Carb to Airbox Seal?

mbeers6

Seeking advice from others with newer Pro's using Keihin carb. Photo below is from my 2017 TXT 250 and it seems like the airbox inlet tube is not sealing far enough over the carb. Can anyone with a similar setup let me know if they have the same issue? Please confirm there is NO bushing like there is with the Delorto carb. I looked at microfische and saw nothing like that for the Keihin setup. 

I looked at the owners manual and it shows the inlet tube all the way over the carb. Not sure how I can get mine further forward besides maybe heating the rubber up and pulling it further forward? 

Yes I am using a different hose clamp in the pic, but it is the same or worse with the stock airboot clamp. The second photo shows some dirt I found on the slide; I'm very good about cleaning/oiling air filter and using grease around seal. So I'm thinking dirt maybe be getting in between carb and airbox. 

Thank you in advance. 

77ff1f4e-7b05-4458-bc6f-3b39f90fea77-ori

207bccb8-9ec4-402f-887e-17a3da0e264e-ori

Edited by mbeers6
2nd pic

That hose clamp isn't doing you any favors. It's bunching up the boot, which is going to kill any seal, and it's also got perforations which are going to cut into the boot. 

Clean the carb, inspect boot for damage, use the stock clamp, clean air filter, grease the filter sealing surface lightly with silicone grease, check for air leaks around the boot with WD-40. 

• Like 1

I'm having similar issues with the boots on my older GG's. Thumbs-up to Lineaway's suggestion. In addition I may try to somehow soften the rubber; I was thinking of leaving it near a source of moderate heat (possibly steam from a boiling kettle, or a hairdryer). An open flame or too high a heat or a concentrated heat could be bad.Good luck.

16 hours ago, d2w said:

I'm having similar issues with the boots on my older GG's. Thumbs-up to Lineaway's suggestion. In addition I may try to somehow soften the rubber; I was thinking of leaving it near a source of moderate heat (possibly steam from a boiling kettle, or a hairdryer). An open flame or too high a heat or a concentrated heat could be bad.Good luck.

I have used a heat gun on low (doesn't take very long) to soften the rubber boot for my GasGas.  My 2003 originally had the Dellorto with the rubber adapter and the rubber boot was a bit deformed, I have a Kehin now and that rubber boot occasionally likes to go back to the deformed shape instead of round.  A little warm up and viola good to go.

Tried Lineway's method and it definitely helped. The other issue I found is that the plastic frame guards I have seemed to have been preventing the airbox itself from fully seating against frame. Took those off and was able to get the airbox inlet tube little further onto the carb bell housing. 

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Like 1