Newbie from Suffolk UK

Bigusdickus

Hi to all.

I have an admission to make I don't own a trials bike ? I have been riding for nearly 42 years cycling, road bikes, MX,and enduro

I have only ridden  a trials bike once. It was a friends Fantic 125 twin shock, it put me on my backside very quickly as I remember. It

was along time ago and for some reason it's started to burn me that I have missed out on a great part of motorcyling. One of my enduro 

riding buddies has just bought a very nice TRS and is loving it. So the plan is to learn a bit about the sport and get myself a trials bike before 

I am to worn out to enjoy it ? I hope to get to a couple of local events in the Ipswich area and see what its all about. This looks like a great place to start 

learning and thanks for letting me join.

Rich

It's nice 'cause you don't wreck your knees like in enduro ;)

Twinshock / classic trials is even more chilled, but still plenty challenging.  There's some standard advice - go to watch, try it before buying a bike, and don't go for anything with a big engine right from the off even though you've been riding a long time (I'm sure there's more, lol)

Hi Turbo 

The knees are already a bit of an issue I've had a couple of ops recently ?   the engine size thing sounds like good advice I know my buddy is running his TRS on the soft map all of the time as it's a bit fiery. I have no idea about trials but have always had bigger bikes.

Rich

• Like 1

Hi BasinBaker. Is that any thing to do with Haybridge Basin ?.

I am a Woodbridge club member ?, we had an enduro at Butly in September. I still get out on my mountain bike 

at Tunstal and Rendlesham , it's not to far away from home so that will be a definite to go to. I assume I will be able to

find other events on the ACU website ? or will some of the club avents go under the radar.

Rich.

Just checked and unfortunately I am working December 30th this year so I won't make that one.

There is another event at Beazlyend Braintree on November 17th that I may be able to get to for an hour or two.

I am at the Muntjac Enduro on the Sunday so I might be pushing on time to get both in. Hopefully I will fit it in.

Rich.

Bigusdickus,

I am secretary of the meeting for the Braintree clubs next trial which is at Beazley End (Essex) on the 16th December. This venue is used by other clubs but I cannot see anything listed for November 17th (Saturday) at this venue. You will be more than welcome at out Trial. Regs will be in the December Eastern Centre Gazette. (available on line) We do results on the day for this event and I make all the class winners wear a silly hat and have their photo taken. We used to award a Turkey to each class winner and Christmas pud for 2nd however I have changed this the last couple of years to vouchers. Getting about 12 dressed Turkeys delivered on time proved an interesting task and I have a few tales to tell regarding this from over the years I have been secretary for this event.

We also have a trial on the 29th December at Twinstead which is somewhere between Halstead and Sudbury. (Essex near the Suffolk border. No visa required) This is what we refer to as our get out of the house over Christmas event and seems to be getting more popular each year. Regs will be in the December Gazette but this is just for information, we run this event as enter on the day.

If you want any more information please PM me.

Stuart

Edited by twinnshock

OK thank's Stuart that clears that up ? I have to agree, admirable work and it looks like you will

have great weather this weekend. I am pushed for time this weekend as I am riding on Sunday so

I will give it a miss, have a great weekend.

Rich.

Edited by Bigusdickus

14 hours ago, twinnshock said:

Bickusdickus,

You are welcome on the 17th (as spectator as I think you are probabaly to old) but I think this event is not what you are expecting.

I am slightly confused as I was unaware that this was on the ACU website and I was thinking the event was at a different venue. That is a big admission as I am also the secretary of this event and will be helping so now I know will hopfully turn up at the correct place. The permit has been sitting in my email inbox unread for a couple of weeks.

This event is what we refer to as the Braintree club Youth Academy. We run these events every month at different venues around the Braintree area. They are open to youth riders on electric bikes only.

Can I take this opportunity for a plug!

The Braintree club own 4 electric bikes and are planning to expand this in the New Year. We run these events about once a month details on Facebook. Open to youth riders on either own bikes or can use ours. Helmets, gloves etc. also supplied as required. This is our effort to get youth riders into our sport. We have been doing this for almost two years and at our last event had over 40 riders.

Stuart Penfold

That is a brilliant initiative. Any idea how many users of club bikes have gone on to buy their own?

Hi to all 

It appears the my earlia statement is no longer true, this nice little beta came up less than a mile from me 

yeterday, today its in my garage ? cant believe my luck  it is in very good nick for it's age.

runs nice no rattles and has had the water pump done. After riding around the garden for a while it felt like 

a pussy cat compared to my 450 Husqvarna., So now I have just got to learn how to ride it ?

Rich. 

beta 2.jpg

Edited by Bigusdickus

Ha ha more than my life's worth to cut up the grass ? enduro tomorrow in Thetford forest then back to work Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday is free to play all day. May go to a friend's he has a big garden with trials obstacles, I will see him tomorrow so should work something out.

Rich.