Ty175

Pikeyboy

Hi folks, looking for some advice.

im currently restoring a 1980 ty175 during strip down I noticed one of the fingers is snapped off on the clutch basket. Looks like a previous owner has welded up a small hole in the case from the outside not considering the damage it could cause on the inside upon start up. Each finger is badly scored and one has completely snapped off. The bike was running all be it quite rattling so they must have removed all debris and used the bike. My question do I need to replace the affected parts and if so where can I get them (tried EBay) many thanks all.

If you do decide to replace this should help, unfortunately the site doesn't show a 1980 model. There are a few different bikes that used the same basket & gear which would increases your chances of finding a good 1. The friction plate is used in a lot of bikes which means the fingers are the same in other bikes so it could be possible to change baskets onto the TY gear

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/525-16150-00-00?ref=5d9cf591dcd36ebb53a7b0646d447d9ab6f350c1

Like Turbo said some pics would be helpful.. I replaced the clutch basket with one off a DT100 which is basically the same as the TY 175 and I got it used off of Ebay.  Mine is a 76 TY and the driven gear on the basket is the same as the 77 DT100 with minor differences. The only thing is the replacement basket I got off Ebay has the same slop in the gear between the basket and gear that the old one had. I figure I will just run it and assume it is suppose to be that way...

Sam

The welded up hole was most likely caused by the clutch basket finger exiting the chain-case.    As there are many ears on the friction plates, I don't suppose the loss of one will be noticed.  The irregularity might actually help to avoid the plates sticking together.

The only downside is that the clutch may now be out of balance, but as it revolves 3 times slower than the engine, it might not be noticeable.

Hope you manage to get a replacement from someone who has parts for TYs.

14 minutes ago, trialsrfun said:

The initial damage was likely caused by someone removing the clutch basket without using the correct holding tool.

Sadly I must admit to that occurring when I pulled the clutch basket from the 2000 Sherco I had, but I did buy the correct tool as well as new basket..............