Sherco 80 Coolant Leak

bluetriumph9

Hi I have had my sons Sherco 80 for over a year with no problems, the other day it started to leak coolant out of the expansion pipe attached to the radiator cap. I have never topped the coolant up in the time I have owned the bike. So I fitted a new radiator cap purchased from Slat Shop but this has made no difference, so I next removed the head and checked the O rings which look fine, but I will still replace them with a new set. Has anybody ever had a similar problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks

There are one or two things you could check such as the radiator for mud and leaves clogging up the air flow through the matrix. The coolant sensor fan switch needs to be checked, as does the fan. Bridge the connectors from the sensor wire this should make the fan run, you’ll need the engine running for this. Make sure the cooling fan is free to spin and not being trapped by the surround. The coolant should contain the correct mix ratio of anti freeze to water....use distilled water as opposed to tap water, less contamination...use good quality anti freeze as this not only prevents freezing but the anti freeze also raises the boiling point of the coolant. As you have checked the cylinder head seals and replaced with new there is not much else to check. Fill the coolant slowly so that you do not create an air lock. Keep the bike upright and allow the coolant to settle, start and run the engine for a few minutes and leave the pressure cap off, be prepared for some overflow of coolant if the engin3 decides to push out some coolant, have a tray underneath the bike. Get the coolant hot and turn off engine, leave to stand for about 5 mins and then top up the coolant if needed. Fit the pressure cap back on and start engine, ride it or run it to get it hot, make sure the cooling fan cuts in. You can test the sensor by removing it and attaching a multi meter set to continuity, hold the sensor in hot water just off boiling, you should see the meter either bleep or register continuity... if not the sensor may be faulty. Not worked on an 80 but I suspect it has the same system as the 125 and 250 etc.