Tubeless Trials Tyre Run Flat After Puncture

miner

As above... how well do they hold up?  Was a Pirelli MT43 if that helps... built like a run flat car tyre. :D

Didn’t go too far or fast... was riding when it went down and noticed it before too long. 10-15mins and not hard pushed... trundling back to house through the street in 5th for 2-3mins probably the worst part. Turns out it was a dicky valve core... swapped out and all good. As bad as the Pirelli’s are on hard surfaces, they do ok in the loamy stuff at 4psi and would at least like to get my money’s worth out of them before skipping them. 

Thoughts? Old Michelin survived a similar issue... but did crack the rim so it all went in the bin and fitted new rubber. 

How long is a piece of string? With a flat tyre it all depends on the going that the tyre and wheel have to deal with. When totally flat the rim will push down into the tyre walls causing marking and then eventually cut marks, if the rim is a bit notched from hard previous contacts this to will cause additional injury to the tyre wall. Run flat tyres are designed to do just that and it also relies upon the rim which with a run flat has no well, this stops the tyre from literally remounting itself off of the rim. All you can really do is take the tyre off the wheel rim and visually inspect the inside of the tyre wall for damage. There is a considerable difference between 4 psi and completely deflated, but unless you rode over any ruts or potholes then you may and have a tyre that can still be used. It’s not like you are asking the tyre to deliver rip snorting power and speeds in excess of 50 mph. So at trials bike speeds and use you might be lucky, but just like that piece of string you never can tell, no one has yet invented the self healing tyre??‍♂️??

Fair summary... as expected. I know a standard car tyre is farked once it’s run flat as it destroys the sidewalls and leaves loads of if the inner surface inside the rim... was wondering if the trials tyres were more resilient given that they were more likely to get punctured but guess that’s partly why you’ve got rim locks. Will check it out / hope it holds pressure and keep an eye on it. :)

6 hours ago, miner said:

Fair summary... as expected. I know a standard car tyre is farked once it’s run flat as it destroys the sidewalls and leaves loads of if the inner surface inside the rim... was wondering if the trials tyres were more resilient given that they were more likely to get punctured but guess that’s partly why you’ve got rim locks. Will check it out / hope it holds pressure and keep an eye on it. :)

The Pirelli MT43 is the most resilient of the trials type tires but even with that it depends on how long it was run flat, what was the surface, and what kind of load was on it during that time on weather or not it is still good.  The next issue is the answer would still be a guess unless someone has done the same on their Pirelli... 

Based on your first post I am going to say there is a good chance it is still usable, however I couldn't say its an accurate guess...  Good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1