Gear box oil I know

guy53

I know it's been ask about a hundred time, but the I don't have a lot of choice here. I recently bought a lightly use Sherco St 250 2015, I really like the feel of the clutch. Now I have to change the oil in the gear box, unfortunately, I don't know and can't find what is in the gearbox. I have avalable Motul Gear 300 SAE75W90 100% synt oil. Any comments on that?

Guy

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

That is an oil for a car gear box. Do not use.

Crap, how did I miss that...  Yes automotive gearbox oil is out don't use that.  I thought it was there motorcycle oil... Turns out thats "Motul's Transoil Expert Gearbox Oil - 10W40"  Witch would be fine.  

Deleted my first post.  

Edited by jonnyc21

I was surprise to hear that the Motul in question was automotive oil as the dealer is not into auto., I checked the Motul site and they list the Gear 300 SAE75W90 100% synt oil as auto and moto oil, and gear oil viscosity isn't '' calculated '' the same way. That's why I asked, I'm sorry if I had some people offended by my question.

Guy

No offence at all with your question.  

lineaway was just trying to keep me from accidentally giving bad advice.  

The trick here is that some motorcycles like BMW shaft drive might use that in the rear gear/hub but it wouldn't be used in the engine, so yes motorcycle approved but not inside the engine.

So I would look for something that is specified as for a 2T motorcycle engine and would also be good if it states wet clutch.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, guy53 said:

I know it's been ask about a hundred time, but the I don't have a lot of choice here. I recently bought a lightly use Sherco St 250 2015, I really like the feel of the clutch. Now I have to change the oil in the gear box, unfortunately, I don't know and can't find what is in the gearbox. I have avalable Motul Gear 300 SAE75W90 100% synt oil. Any comments on that?

Guy

i think you can put in your bike, it's an high protection gear oil, i have used in Fantic section the Motul HD 80/90 high viscosity oil (for hypoid) and it was the only oil that allow us to run without slepper cluthc problems. Yes high viscosity oil have a problem sometime in trial gearbox, the disc do not detached as well as a low viscosity oil, expecially at low temperature

sorry for my english ?